×
12:34 p.m.

So that just happened.

Yes, President Trump, when asked about his ongoing trade war with China, deemed himself "the chosen one" when talking with reporters outside the White House on Wednesday. As Trump put it, when it comes to dealing with China's trade practices, "somebody had to do it." He then added "I am the chosen one" as he looked up to the sky.

The odd comment comes just after Trump compared himself to some kind of deity in a Wednesday morning tweet. He seemed to be watching Wayne Allyn Root's show on the conservative network Newsmax, and tweeted a quote from Root saying that "the Jewish people in Israel love [Trump] like he's the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God." And the day before, Trump accused "any Jewish people that votes for a Democrat" of having "either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty." Kathryn Krawczyk

1:00 p.m.

President Trump on Wednesday said that he suddenly called off a planned trip to Denmark after finding the prime minister's comment dismissing his interest in purchasing Greenland "nasty" and "very not nice."

Trump on Tuesday night tweeted that he would be postponing a trip to Denmark in response to its prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, laughing off the idea of him wanting to buy Greenland, a notion she called "absurd." The president directly attributed his cancelation of the trip to this rejection, saying the prime minister was "able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct."

But Trump went further on Wednesday by saying he called the trip off specifically because her comment was "nasty."

"All she had to do is say, 'no, we wouldn't be interested,'" Trump said. "I thought it was a very not nice way of saying something." He added, "You don't talk to the United States that way, at least under me."

Trump referring to comments he doesn't like at "nasty" is a favorite response of his, having earlier this year called Meghan Markle "nasty" for statements she made critical of him, only to deny having done so.

Trump's decision to suddenly cancel his trip his idea to buy Greenland, which he argued on Wednesday is still a "good idea," has not gone over well in Denmark, where politicians have been putting the president on blast and calling him a "spoiled child." Brendan Morrow

12:29 p.m.

The federal budget deficit is not slowing down.

Following the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2019, the Congressional Budget Office updated its forecasts on Wednesday, with predictions that the deficit will reach $960 billion for the 2019 fiscal year, which concludes on Sept. 30. That number is expected to swell to $1 trillion for the 2020 fiscal year, the first time the deficit could cross that threshold since the 2012 fiscal year.

Bloomberg also points out that, while hitting the $1 trillion mark was anticipated, the 2020 prediction for the figure is two years earlier than previously thought. And if it weren't for decreased interest rate projections, the CBO's deficit estimates would likely be even higher.

The New York Times reports that the rising forecasts are a result of "sluggish growth in federal revenue" after the Trump administration's 2017 tax cuts went into effect and bipartisan agreements to raise military and nondefense domestic discretionary spending. Tim O'Donnell

12:13 p.m.

Tom Bergeron isn't dancing around how he feels about Sean Spicer's Dancing with the Stars booking.

The former White House press secretary on Wednesday was announced as one of the contestants on the dance competition show's newest season, prompting host Bergeron to release a statement expressing his disapproval. Bergeron writes that he met with the new executive producer of the ABC series a few months ago and specifically asked for the 28th season to be a "joyful respite from our exhausting political climate and free of inevitably divisive bookings from any party affiliations." Evidently, he left that meeting under the impression an agreement had been reached, but this was not to be.

"Subsequently (and rather obviously), a decision was made to, as we often say in Hollywood, 'go in a different direction,'" Bergeron writes disapprovingly.

Bergeron does go on to say that the producers and network are free to "make whatever decisions they feel are in the best long term interests of the franchise," and he'll continue to host the show, but he makes quite clear that this is a decision he strongly disagrees with.

This certainly isn't the first time Dancing with the Stars has had a guest on from the world of politics, with former Texas Gov. Rick Perry being booked on the show in 2016. Still, Spicer's booking sparked a fair amount of controversy on Wednesday, and Bergeron clearly is in agreement, putting him in the position of hosting a show with a guest he just told the world shouldn't even be there. We already got a glimpse at the potential awkwardness in store on Good Morning America on Wednesday, during which Bergeron got in a dig at Spicer's infamous post-inauguration press conference by joking he'll "be in charge of assessing audience size." Expect plenty more of that when the show returns on Sept. 16. Brendan Morrow

11:00 a.m.

Newark, New Jersey, stole headlines earlier this month when the city began distributing bottled water to residents due to elevated levels of lead in its drinking water, but a Bloomberg Environment analysis found that 10 other cities — including Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — are dealing with similar situations.

The other cities have not had to resort to Newark's more extreme measures, but they have had to forge expensive and lengthy campaigns to improve water quality and remove the lead pipes that are the source of the contamination. Bloomberg notes that the Environmental Protection Agency requires water utilities to sample lead levels up to twice a year and if more than 10 percent of those samples contain lead above 15 parts per billion, utilities must take steps such as more intense sampling, using different anti-corrosion chemicals, or ripping lead pipes out of the ground.

While 15 parts billion is reportedly only equivalent to about 15 drops of water in a swimming pool, lead can reportedly cause serious harm at even far lower levels. "What we know now that we didn't know a decade ago is that low does matter," Nsedu Obot Witherspoon, executive director of the Children's Environmental Health Network, said.

The EPA estimated in 2018 that replacing lead service lines would cost an average of $4,700 per pipe with some replacements costing as much as $12,300. This would obviously add up in cities like Trenton, New Jersey, which has approximately 21,000 lead service lines. The cost isn't the only hurdle, either, since in some cases, homeowners must grant utilities companies permission to work on their private property. Read more at Bloomberg. Tim O'Donnell

10:26 a.m.

In Cindy McCain's eyes, no Republican comes even close to carrying on her late husband's legacy.

It's been nearly a year since longtime Arizona Sen. John McCain died, and it seems he took his willingness to reach across the aisle with him, Cindy McCain said in an interview with ABC News published Wednesday. Even McCain's close friend Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) doesn't seem to be the heir apparent to the late senator's legacy, though McCain wouldn't go so far as to criticize him or even President Trump.

John McCain had a penchant for bipartisanship during his time in the Senate, cementing that legacy as he proved a constabnt spurn to Trump and when he voted to end Republicans' chance at overturning ObamaCare. "That was a tough torch to carry," McCain told ABC News of McCain's middle-of-the-road views, and added that "I don't see anybody carrying that mantle at all, I don't see anyone carrying the voice — the voice of reason." McCain then went so far as to criticize the whole GOP, saying right now, it is "not the party of Abraham Lincoln ... nor the party of Ronald Reagan."

Yet when asked about the senator's close friend Graham, who has gone on to become a close ally of the president, Cindy McCain said she "will not be critical of Lindsey." Still, she said she "hope[s] that in the long run, everyone would begin to move in the right direction, including Lindsey or anybody else."

Read more from McCain's interview at ABC News. Kathryn Krawczyk

10:10 a.m.

President Trump's sudden decision to blow off a trip to Denmark, ostensibly over the prime minister's disinterest in selling him Greenland, is obviously not going over well there.

Various Danish politicians have been putting Trump on blast since he said he's postponing his planned trip there on Tuesday night; the president wrote on Twitter that it's because Denmark's prime minister said that "she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland."

"Trump lives on another planet," Danish politician Pernille Skipper tweeted in response, per The Washington Post. "Self-sufficient and disrespectful." Michael Aastrup Jensen, a member of Danish parliament, told the Post Trump's cancellation is an "insult" and that everyone there literally thought the idea of purchasing Greenland was a joke until recently; he added that the situation is a "disaster." The Danish People's Party's foreign affairs spokesperson Søren Espersen also told a Danish newspaper that Trump is like a "a spoiled child."

Meanwhile, Kristian Jensen, former finance minister, tweeted that the situation has become a "diplomatic crisis," reports The New York Times.

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen hasn't gone that far, saying in a press conference on Wednesday morning she was "disappointed and surprised" by the decision, reports The Associated Press. Trump has yet to further comment on the cancellation of this trip, although The New York Times' Maggie Haberman continues to speculate it had nothing to do with not being able to buy Greenland at all, suggesting on CNN the president maybe just didn't feel like it.

"Isn't it possible that he just doesn't want to go?" CNN's Alisyn Camerota asked, Mediaite reports. "He likes to sleep in his own bed. He doesn't love international travel. Maybe he just doesn't want to go." Haberman agreed this is a possibility. Brendan Morrow

9:50 a.m.

Former Republican congressman Joe Walsh (Ill.) wants to get in the ring and work on his left jab, apparently.

Now a conservative talk radio host, Walsh is reportedly exploring a primary challenge to President Trump, and his reasons for doing so are not subtle.

"He's a bully and a coward," Walsh told The Washington Post, referring to the president. "Somebody's got to punch him in the face every single day." The former Illinois lawmaker, the Post notes, has been known for his own "incendiary comments" since he was elected to the House as part of the Tea Party wave in 2010 and served one term.

Assuming Walsh goes through with the plan, he'd reportedly take a different approach from Trump's currently lone primary challenger, former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, who leans libertarian. Instead, Walsh, an immigration hard-liner who voted for Trump in 2016, would attack Trump from the right and "on moral grounds." (It's important to note Weld is also campaigning against Trump's "outrageous racism.")

The Post also mentioned former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford (R), former Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R), and former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), as possible GOP primary challengers. Flake said he has no intention of running, but did add that several Republican donors who are worried about the state of the economy have called to ask him to at least consider launching a bid. "They are wondering, if the economy isn't stellar next year, how is the party going to win?," he said. "By the president offending more people?"

Finally, there are the 2012 nostalgists, reportedly self-aware of the futility of their fantasy, who still want a certain Utah politician to throw his hat into the ring. But Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) is not expected enter the race. Read more at The Washington Post. Tim O'Donnell

See More Speed Reads