Syria 'built crematorium to hide killings', says US
State Department claims President Bashar al-Assad is covering up thousands of atrocities at military prison
Syria has built a crematorium at a prison to dispose of the remains of murdered prisoners, the US State Department claimed yesterday.
Stuart Jones, acting assistant secretary for Near Eastern Affairs, showed journalists a series of aerial photographs he said indicted the presence of a crematorium at the Sednaya military prison on the outskirts of the capital Damascus, Reuters reports.
US officials believe it has been used to dispose of the bodies of thousands of inmates.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A report from Amnesty International this year claimed up to 50 people were hanged at the prison each week and between 5,000 and 13,000 had been executed since the start of the civil war six years ago.
Jones added: "Credible sources have believed that many of the bodies have been disposed in mass graves."
Al-Jazeera reports the photos show snow melting on the roof of one building and not others, indicating a significant heat source.
Jones also called on the governments of Iran and Russia, both of whom support Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, to use their influence to stop the alleged atrocities.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
"We are appalled by the atrocities taking place in Syria [with the] seemingly unconditional support of Russia", he said, adding that Moscow had "aided or passively looked away" while the Syrian government acted.
"The regime must stop all attacks on civilian and opposition forces and Russia must bear responsibility to ensure regime compliance," he said.
The photos are understood to date back to 2015. It is not clear why the US State Department waited to reveal their findings.
Syria's civil war is now in its seventh year and has claimed around half a million lives and displaced many millions more.
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Sudoku medium: November 30, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Why these Iraqi elections are so importantThe Explainer The US and Israel are increasingly pressuring Baghdad to tackle Iran-backed militants, while weakened Iran sees Iraq as a vital remaining ally
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users