Read more about Maya Angelou:
Maya Angelou, lyrical witness of the Jim Crow South dies at 86 (The New York Times)
Read an excerpt from I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Random House)
Read about Angelou's life (MayaAngelou.com)
Watch an interview with Oprah Winfrey where Maya Angelou talks calypso and forgiveness:
Listen to more of The Week's mini podcasts:
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- A South African's moving tribute to Mandela
- Why I stopped hating country music
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week