Read more about Maya Angelou:
Maya Angelou, lyrical witness of the Jim Crow South dies at 86 (The New York Times)
Read an excerpt from I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Random House)
Read about Angelou's life (MayaAngelou.com)
Watch an interview with Oprah Winfrey where Maya Angelou talks calypso and forgiveness:
Listen to more of The Week's mini podcasts:
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- A South African's moving tribute to Mandela
- Why I stopped hating country music
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week