Read more about Maya Angelou:
Maya Angelou, lyrical witness of the Jim Crow South dies at 86 (The New York Times)
Read an excerpt from I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Random House)
Read about Angelou's life (MayaAngelou.com)
Watch an interview with Oprah Winfrey where Maya Angelou talks calypso and forgiveness:
Listen to more of The Week's mini podcasts:
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- A South African's moving tribute to Mandela
- Why I stopped hating country music
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week