- Maybe not what he was expecting June 18
Former Vice President Dick Cheney appeared Wednesday night on Fox News, to elaborate on his recent Wall Street Journal column lambasting President Obama on the situation in Iraq — only to have Fox host Megyn Kelly confront Cheney on his own record starting the war in that country.
Kelly quoted from Cheney's article, in which he and his daughter Liz Cheney wrote: "Rarely has a U.S. president been so wrong about so much at the expense of so many."
"But time and time again, history has proven that you got it wrong as well in Iraq, sir," Kelly said. "You said there was no doubt Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction; you said we would be greeted as liberators; you said the Iraq insurgency was in the last throes back in 2005; and you said that after our intervention, extremists would have to, quote, 'rethink their strategy of jihad.' Now, with almost a trillion dollars spent there, with 4,500 American lives lost there, what do you say to those who say you were so wrong about so much at the expense of so many?"
"No, I just fundamentally disagree, Megyn," said Cheney. "You've got to go back and look at the track record. We inherited a situation where there was no doubt in anybody's mind about the extent of Saddam's involvement in weapons of mass destruction. We had a situation where if we — after 9/11 we were concerned about a follow-on attack that would involve not just airline tickets and box-cutters as the weapons, but rather something far deadlier, perhaps even a nuclear weapon." --Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week