British WWII mystery: Shipwrecks 'disappear' from Java Sea
Illegal scrap metal dealers blamed for dismantling British ships considered war graves
Two British shipwrecks dating from World War II have "vanished" from the floor of the Java Sea, and several others have been partially removed, in raids blamed on illegal scrap metal salvage operators.
The HMS Exeter, a 175m heavy cruiser, and the destroyer HMS Encounter, have been "almost totally removed", The Guardian says, while the 100m destroyer, HMS Electra, has been partially cut away, although "a sizeable section of the wreck remained".
The remains of the 91m US submarine Perch, whose entire crew was captured by the Japanese during intense fighting in March 1942, has also disappeared, along with three Dutch wrecks.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The UK's Ministry of Defence has contacted the Indonesian authorities, seeking information about who might be responsible, the BBC reports
"We would expect that these sites are respected and left undisturbed without the express consent of the United Kingdom," the Ministry of Defence said.
Although several news outlets have described the disappearance of the wrecks as a "mystery", authorities believe the explanation is rather more pedestrian.
The Dutch defence ministry has laid the blame at the feet of illegal scrap metal operators, who use cranes and explosives to bring parts of the ships to the surface and remove them.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
It added that dismantling the wrecks, considered to be war graves, amounted to "grave-robbing".
"They are the final resting place for hundreds of crew members who perished," says Dutch daily De Volkskrant, noting that "the looting of warships without the permission of the country of origin is against international law".
It is not the first time that historic shipwrecks have been disturbed by illegal salvaging operations. In October last year, the Straits Times reported that two other British warships, the HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse, had been "stripped bare, with the damage intensifying in recent months".
The paper quotes Andy Brockman, a British specialist in the archaeology of modern conflict, who warns that large-scale black market scrap looting has been going on "for years" and that "only international cooperation can save the remaining ships".
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
The Mushroom Tapes: a compelling deep dive into the trial that gripped AustraliaThe Week Recommends Acclaimed authors team up for a ‘sensitive and insightful’ examination of what led a seemingly ordinary woman to poison four people
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
The WW2 massacre dividing Senegal and FranceUnder the Radar A new investigation found the 1944 Thiaroye attack on ‘unarmed’ African soldiers was ‘premeditated’, and far deadlier than previously recorded
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American citiesUnder the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted