Mixed martial arts (MMA) star Conor McGregor will make his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on Saturday. The Irish fighter has vowed to inflict a “devastating KO” on Khabib Nurmagomedov in the lightweight title fight.
It’s nearly two years since McGregor last fought in the octagon and he insists he’s ready for the undefeated Russian Nurmagomedov when they go head-to-head at UFC 229 in Las Vegas.
Quoted by the BBC, “The Notorious” said: “I’m going to maul him. I will clatter him; he will crumble. I don’t think he can take a smack. He reacts like a novice.”
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Although McGregor first has to focus on the UFC bout against Nurmagomedov, the Dublin-born 30-year-old is also looking to the future.
One possibility for the Irishman is a rematch against Floyd Mayweather.
McGregor lost “The Money Fight” by technical knockout in the tenth round in August last year, but he would like to go up against the American again as long as the rules are “straight boxing” or “straight MMA”.
“I’m certainly considering a few options,” McGregor told ESPN. “There’s this fight and the co-main [Tony Ferguson vs. Anthony Pettis]. Of course then there’s boxing ventures. I’m very excited about that.
“If [Mayweather] has the bottle to come over and deal with this, like he said he has, let’s see what happens. I would also like to box him again.
“Everything is being discussed. Every rule set. If it’s not an MMA bout, then I don’t want to know. It’s either a straight MMA bout or a straight boxing bout.
“If they come looking for modified rules, I would rather just box the kid again. If you don’t want to deal with it, then don’t deal with it and stop going on like you’re doing.”
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.