Nissan's Carlos Ghosn steps down as chief executive
'Le Cost Killer' to focus on building other brands in Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Nissan's Carlos Ghosn has announced he is stepping down as chief executive after leading the firm for 18 years.
He will remain as head of the board of directors and oversee the alliance between Nissan, Renault and Mitsubishi.
"As Nissan's chairman, I will continue to supervise and guide the company, both independently and within the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi," Ghosn said. "I am committed to supporting the alliance as it evolves and expands."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Company veteran and co-chief executive Hiroto Saikawa, who has 40 years of experience behind him, will take over the role from 1 April.
"Ghosn ends years of speculation over when he would relinquish the top job at Japan's No. 2 cer [sic] maker amid investor concerns that he was stretching himself too thin," said The Independent.
"The timing is a bit surprising," Takeshi Miyao, head of automotive consultancy Carnorama, told Reuters. "It appears Ghosn has decided very quickly that Saikawa is the right person to lead the company."
Ghosn was handed the nickname "Le Cost Killer" after rebuilding the once "struggling" Nissan firm, Autocar says. He's also credited for investing in "highly innovative products", such as the critically acclaimed Qashqai cross-over.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
He now faces the challenge of turning Mitsubishi around following the fuel economy scandal that emerged last year, says Forbes, while Renault needs to "further develop its strategy", although it has "met its profitability targets".
His next project will focus on the alliance producing a "budget electric car" for the Chinese market that all share the same production platform.
The businessman spoke about electric vehicles when he appeared at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.
/p>
-
What to know before filing your own taxes for the first timethe explainer Tackle this financial milestone with confidence
-
The biggest box office flops of the 21st centuryin depth Unnecessary remakes and turgid, expensive CGI-fests highlight this list of these most notorious box-office losers
-
The 10 most infamous abductions in modern historyin depth The taking of Savannah Guthrie’s mother, Nancy, is the latest in a long string of high-profile kidnappings
-
BMW iX3: a ‘revolution’ for the German car brandThe Week Recommends The electric SUV promises a ‘great balance between ride comfort and driving fun’
-
The best new cars for 2026The Week Recommends From SUVs to swish electrics, see what this year has to offer on the roads
-
Honda and Nissan in merger talksSpeed Read The companies are currently Japan's second and third-biggest automakers, respectively
-
Are plug-in hybrids better for America's climate goals?Talking Points The car industry considers a 'slower, but more plausible path' to reducing emissions
-
EV market slowdown: a bump in the road for Tesla?Talking Points The electric vehicle market has stalled – with worrying consequences for carmakers
-
The week's good news: Dec. 14, 2023Feature It wasn't all bad!
-
MG4 EV XPower review: what the car critics sayFeature The XPower just 'isn't as much fun' as a regular MG4
-
Volkswagen ID.5 review: what the car critics sayFeature The ID.4's 'sportier, more stylish twin' – but 'don't believe the hype'