Lewis: results speak for themselves
Lewis Hamilton responded in perfect fashion to claims by Nico Rosberg that Max Verstappen was now the fastest driver in Formula 1.
On his YouTube channel last week Rosberg praised Verstappen for his victories in Austria and Germany and said the young Red Bull driver would beat Hamilton to the world title if they were both driving at Mercedes.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Verstappen qualified on pole position for Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix but Hamilton took the victory after a Mercedes masterclass in pit stops and race strategy.
Speaking after his win in Hungary Hamilton said of Rosberg’s comments: “I’ve never seen the blog. It has no influence on my life.
“Whether he’s right or wrong doesn’t interest me, although he has the right to his opinion. But I think my records and results basically speak for themselves.
“There are always people who did not have the success that I did who want to talk, but that’s ok.
“I once read a book and it said when people talk bad about you, don’t take it personally because they’re actually talking about themselves.”
The five-time world champion added: “I feel great. I’m still fit. Maybe not fitter than ever because I was sick a week ago, but I wanted to come back strongly this weekend and I succeeded.
“I am 34, but I feel like I’m doing better than ever.”
Bottas has ‘plan B’ for 2020
While Lewis Hamilton was securing his eighth victory of the season his Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas had to settle for eighth place at the Hungaroring. The Finn is now 62 points behind Hamilton in the 2019 F1 drivers’ standings.
Bottas, 29, is out of contract at the end of the season and according to reports his spot at Mercedes is under threat with Esteban Ocon being lined up as a possible replacement next year.
News.com.au says Mercedes have been left with a “gut-wrenching decision to axe the Finnish racer”, who has an “uphill battle to hold onto his seat”.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has revealed that he will make a decision during the summer break. He told German newspaper Die Welt: “We have a top driver in Valtteri, we are aware of that. But we also have a young, talented driver in Ocon. He deserves a place in Formula 1 as well.
“If there was only one good driver, it would be easy. But that’s not the way it is. They both deserve a chance at Mercedes.”
Despite Wolff’s comments GrandPx reports that Bottas is “not particularly worried” and admits he has a “plan B” for 2020.
He said: “I would like to hear from the team about this. When you’re in Formula 1, you should always have a plan B and plan C as well.”
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.