Pelosi says the attack on her husband will play into her retirement
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
The violent attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband will play into the House speaker's plans for retirement, she told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an interview.
In a clip released by CNN, Cooper asked Pelosi if she has made a decision in her mind regarding retirement, despite his understanding she's unlikely to divulge the details of that choice.
"Well, I have to say, my decision will be affected [by] what happened the last week or two," Pelosi told Cooper, seemingly alluding to the break-in and assault on her husband. When Cooper clarified by asking the speaker, "Will your decision be impacted by the attack in any way?" Pelosi immediately responded: "Yes."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Paul Pelosi was violently assaulted at the end of October, after a man broke into the couple's California home and beat him with a hammer. The suspect, 42-year-old David DePape, was allegedly looking for Nancy Pelosi, who was in Washington, D.C., at the time. Paul Pelosi was released from the hospital on Thursday after having undergone surgery for a skull fracture and injuries to his right arm and hands.
Pelosi had previously promised to end her time as speaker at the end of this congressional term, "but some Democrats think that she may retain her position if the party pulls out an upset and holds control of the lower chamber," The Hill reports.
The full interview will air at 8 p.m. on CNN's AC360.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brigid Kennedy worked at The Week from 2021 to 2023 as a staff writer, junior editor and then story editor, with an interest in U.S. politics, the economy and the music industry.
-
The EU’s war on fast fashionIn the Spotlight Bloc launches investigation into Shein over sale of weapons and ‘childlike’ sex dolls, alongside efforts to tax e-commerce giants and combat textile waste
-
How to Get to Heaven from Belfast: a ‘highly entertaining ride’The Week Recommends Mystery-comedy from the creator of Derry Girls should be ‘your new binge-watch’
-
The 8 best TV shows of the 1960sThe standout shows of this decade take viewers from outer space to the Wild West
-
Judge orders Washington slavery exhibit restoredSpeed Read The Trump administration took down displays about slavery at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia
-
Hyatt chair joins growing list of Epstein files losersSpeed Read Thomas Pritzker stepped down as executive chair of the Hyatt Hotels Corporation over his ties with Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
