Manchester United are primed to launch a “shock” swoop for Christian Eriksen in the January transfer window.
The Tottenham playmaker was heavily linked to Real Madrid last month but a move to the Spanish capital failed to materialise before the European transfer window closed on Monday.
United are now assembling a lucrative package that they hope will secure the services of the 27-year-old Dane.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Failing to fire
The Sun says that United gaffer Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is undeterred by rumours suggesting Eriksen has his heart set on the Bernabeu and has asked the Old Trafford board to sanction a move for the midfielder.
With Paul Pogba and Jesse Lingard lacking creative influence, Solskjaer sees the Dane as the man to re-energise his lacklustre side, who currently lie eighth in the Premier League table, seven points adrift of leaders Liverpool.
Madrid interest cooling
United sounded out Eriksen’s agent in the summer, says the Sun, and had hoped to entice him to Old Trafford. But the Red Devils “shelved their plans when it became clear the attacking midfielder preferred a move to Spain”.
Nonetheless Eriksen was “flattered by United’s interest” and with Real Madrid’s enthusiasm for him appearing to have waned, he could think again in the new year.
One reason that Real haven’t pursued their initial interest in Eriksen is because head coach Zinedine Zidane has decided that Sporting Lisbon star Bruno Fernandes would be a better fit.
Although Real and Sporting were unable to agree terms this summer, the Portuguese ace could still make the move to the Spanish capital in January.
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.