Canadian federal sources have identified the suspected gunman from Wednesday's shooting at Parliament Hill's Centre Block and National War Memorial as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.
Zehaf-Bibeau was in his early 30s and known to authorities, The Globe and Mail reports. He was marked as a "high-risk traveler" by the government, and his passport had been seized. A U.S. law enforcement official told CNN his passport was confiscated when authorities learned he planned to fight overseas. CNN also reports he was a convert to Islam, and the CBC says he had a record of drug arrests going back a decade in Quebec.
On Wednesday night, Prime Minister Stephen Harper gave an address about the situation, saying: "This week's events are a grim reminder that Canada is not immune to the types of terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere around the world. Let there be no misunderstanding: We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated."
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.