More than 100 people caught a diarrheal infection from pools in Arizona

A swimming pool in Arizona
(Image credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

More than 100 people in Maricopa County, Arizona, which includes the capital city of Phoenix, have contracted a diarrheal infection from contaminated pool water.

As many as 20 public pools, splash pads, and water parks are believed to be hosting a parasite called cryptosporidium, which can cause diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, and fever. In some cases, it can also damage the respiratory tract.

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up
To continue reading this article...
Continue reading this article and get limited website access each month.
Get unlimited website access, exclusive newsletters plus much more.
Cancel or pause at any time.
Already a subscriber to The Week?
Not sure which email you used for your subscription? Contact us