Trump is ending DACA. What happens now?

After days of uncertainty, President Trump made it official Tuesday that the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is being rescinded. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in an announcement that the program, which former President Barack Obama introduced via executive action in 2012 to protect individuals brought to the U.S. as children, was "unconstitutional."
The Department of Homeland Security will no longer accept new applications for DACA's renewable, two-year work permits. New applications that were received by Tuesday will still be considered on a case-by-case basis. DHS will also now stop issuing "advanced parole notices," which allowed DACA recipients to leave and re-enter the U.S., though those that were already issued will be honored.
For those already enrolled in DACA, renewal applications for those whose two-year work permits expire between now and March 5, 2018 will still be accepted, as long as they're submitted by Oct. 5. Those whose permits expire after March 5, 2018, will be allowed to continue working until their two-year period is up.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Trump emphasized in a statement that with the end of DACA, the administration's "enforcement priorities remain unchanged." "We are focused on criminals, security threats, recent border-crossers, visa overstays, and repeat violators. I have advised the Department of Homeland Security that DACA recipients are not enforcement priorities unless they are criminals, are involved in criminal activity, or are members of a gang," Trump said in a statement. However, The New York Times' Vivian Yee noted that while DACA holders may not be directly targeted, they will "be treated like anyone else in the country illegally — putting them at risk of deportation under Trump."
Now that the announcement has been made, the Trump administration will offer "a partial delay to give Congress a chance to address the issue," The Washington Post reported. It's not clear what the Trump administration's plan is if Congress doesn't pass immigration legislation within six months.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
Today's political cartoons - March 31, 2025
Cartoons Monday's cartoons - improper ideology, robot replacements, and more
By The Week US Published
-
Local elections 2025: where are they and who is on course to win?
The Explainer Reform UK predicted to make large gains, with 23 councils and six mayoralties up for grabs
By The Week UK Published
-
What is Starmer's £33m plan to smash 'vile' Channel migration gangs?
Today's Big Question PM lays out plan to tackle migration gangs like international terrorism, with cooperation across countries and enhanced police powers
By Sorcha Bradley, The Week UK Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Canada's Mark Carney calls snap election
speed read Voters will go to the polls on April 28 to pick a new government
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published