Steven Mnuchin requested a government jet for his honeymoon in Europe


Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, estimated to be worth $300 million, requested use of a government jet to whisk him and his third wife, Louise Linton, away to Europe this summer for their honeymoon, several people told ABC News on Wednesday.
A Treasury Department spokesman told ABC News that Mnuchin requested the jet because he's a member of the National Security Council and was very concerned about having access to secure communications. After Mnuchin's office put the request in writing, someone realized this was unnecessary, people with knowledge of the situation said, but it still triggered an "inquiry" by the Treasury Department's Office of Inspector General. An Air Force spokesman told ABC News it could cost about $25,000 an hour to operate a U.S. Air Force jet.
The traveling Mnuchins were scrutinized for their trip last month to Kentucky, which just so happened to coincide with the solar eclipse. Mnuchin's office said the couple was there solely for meetings on tax reform, and they will reimburse the government for Linton's travel, but that jaunt is also under review by the inspector general. This is the same outing where Linton posted a photo on Instagram of her glamorously stepping off of a government plane, hashtagging the various designers who outfitted her (#hermes #valentino). When a commenter called her out, Linton gave a response dripping in condescension: "Aw!! Did you think this was a personal trip?! Adorable! Did you think the US govt paid for our honeymoon or personal travel?!? Lololol." Well, now that you mention it …
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Gaza is running out of cash
Under The Radar Palestinians pay the price as black market springs up around banknotes and coins
By Elizabeth Carr-Ellis, The Week UK Published
-
Law firms: Caving to White House pressure
Feature Trump targets major law firms tied to his past investigations
By The Week US Published
-
Venezuelan deportees: Locked up for tattoos?
Feature A former pro soccer player was deported after U.S. authorities claimed his tattoo proved he belonged to a Venezuelan gang
By The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published