Mark Wahlberg reportedly refused to re-shoot movie unless he was paid $1.5 million
Had actor Mark Wahlberg not received $1.5 million to re-shoot his scenes in All the Money in the World, Christopher Plummer would not have been hired to replace Kevin Spacey in the drama, USA Today reports.
There was outrage earlier this week after it was reported that the movie's star, Michelle Williams, was paid less than 1 percent of what Wahlberg made during the re-shoot — just $80 per day of shooting. Director Ridley Scott decided to replace Spacey with Plummer after several men accused Spacey of sexual misconduct, but two people with knowledge of the situation told USA Today that Wahlberg's contract gave him co-star approval, and he wouldn't sign off on Plummer unless he was paid $1.5 million. "What he said was, 'I will not approve Christopher Plummer unless you pay me,'" one said. "And that's how he [expletive] them."
USA Today was also told that Wahlberg's lawyer sent a letter to the film's financiers saying he was vetoing Plummer unless he received the money. Williams, on the other hand, was pleased with Scott's decision to re-shoot with Plummer; she previously told USA Today she had said "I'd be wherever they needed me, wherever they needed me. And they could have my salary, they could have my holiday, whatever they wanted. Because I appreciated so much that they were making this massive effort." Both Wahlberg and Williams are represented by William Morris Endeavor; the agency and Wahlberg's representative and lawyer declined to comment to USA Today.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Sudoku medium: November 29, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
US mints final penny after 232-year runSpeed Read Production of the one-cent coin has ended
-
Warner Bros. explores sale amid Paramount bidsSpeed Read The media giant, home to HBO and DC Studios, has received interest from multiple buying parties
-
Gold tops $4K per ounce, signaling financial uneaseSpeed Read Investors are worried about President Donald Trump’s trade war
-
Electronic Arts to go private in record $55B dealspeed read The video game giant is behind ‘The Sims’ and ‘Madden NFL’
-
New York court tosses Trump's $500M fraud fineSpeed Read A divided appeals court threw out a hefty penalty against President Trump for fraudulently inflating his wealth
-
Trump said to seek government stake in IntelSpeed Read The president and Intel CEO Lip-Bu Tan reportedly discussed the proposal at a recent meeting
-
US to take 15% cut of AI chip sales to ChinaSpeed Read Nvidia and AMD will pay the Trump administration 15% of their revenue from selling artificial intelligence chips to China
-
NFL gets ESPN stake in deal with DisneySpeed Read The deal gives the NFL a 10% stake in Disney's ESPN sports empire and gives ESPN ownership of NFL Network
