hey've already put airplane bombs in shoes and underpants. Now, terrorist masterminds have devised a new hiding place: Breast implants. Female Al Qaeda suicide bombers are being surgically fitted with explosive enhancements, according to intelligence sources. Such implants would only be detectable by X-ray machines, and not airport scanners. How seriously should America take this new threat?
The TSA is already thinking about it: The "tatas of terror" sounds like a joke, says Vicki Crawford in the Naples News. But it's deadly serious. How to deal with it though? One imagines "different scanners for the endowed" and even "visual checks" for surgical scars. Male TSA employees hoping to become "inspectors" in the new regime will be disappointed though — "sorry boys," that's a woman's job.
"Goombas of death"
A good argument against body scanners: There's no "ironclad system" to protect against this, says Elan Singer in Forbes, unless we're willing to "travel naked." What this proves is that Al Qaeda can always find a way past security precedures. These "high tech" body scanners, bought for around "$150,000 a pop" will produce nothing except "longer security lines" — we should give up on them now.
"Next up: The boob bomber"
Only profiling will work: This "takes terrorism onto a whole new level," says Jeff Taylor at Economic Voice. But we shouldn't go down the "intrusive" and "time consuming" route of banning hand luggage and introducing mandatory "full body searches." Far better to "get off the PC bandwagon" and "start overt profiling." By "using all the tools in the box," we can defend ourselves.
"Surgically implanted bombs, what next?"
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- How the White House's war on media backfired
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- 10 things you need to know today: May 23, 2013
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee