east your eyes on Paul, an octopus who has successfully predicted the outcome of all three of Germany's World Cup games — including the German team's shocking loss to Serbia in the first round. Before each match, trainers at Sea Life Aquarium in Oberhausen, Germany offer the eight-armed oracle two (food filled) boxes labeled with rival countries' flags and wait breathlessly for him to make his selection. This is just "shameless aquarium publicity," says Ryan Bailey at Yahoo Sports. However, I must concede, octopuses are "renowned as the most intelligent of the invertebrates, and Paul has done his species proud." Nonsense, says P.Z. Myers at Scienceblogs. "Why would an octopus be at all interested in a game where you can't use your arms?" Watch as Paul decisively spells out doom for England, Germany's opponent in this Sunday's game:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week