Feast your eyes on Paul, an octopus who has successfully predicted the outcome of all three of Germany's World Cup games — including the German team's shocking loss to Serbia in the first round. Before each match, trainers at Sea Life Aquarium in Oberhausen, Germany offer the eight-armed oracle two (food filled) boxes labeled with rival countries' flags and wait breathlessly for him to make his selection. This is just "shameless aquarium publicity," says Ryan Bailey at Yahoo Sports. However, I must concede, octopuses are "renowned as the most intelligent of the invertebrates, and Paul has done his species proud." Nonsense, says P.Z. Myers at Scienceblogs. "Why would an octopus be at all interested in a game where you can't use your arms?" Watch as Paul decisively spells out doom for England, Germany's opponent in this Sunday's game:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week