It'll be a little more than two years before we get the chance to return to a galaxy far, far away, and we still know virtually nothing about Star Wars: Episode VII. Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher have all been widely rumored to reprise their roles from the original Star Wars trilogy — but not even their presences have been officially confirmed.
Fortunately, J.J. Abrams has taken mercy on fans by revealing presence of a major character in Star Wars: Episode VII. On Thursday, Abrams' studio Bad Robot tweeted a picture from the "workshop" that included a very familiar droid:
Yes, that's R2-D2 — the beloved pint-sized droid who's one of the few characters to appear in every Star Wars movie to date. (We're going to go ahead and assume this means C-3PO will be back too.)
J.J. Abrams obviously has an affinity for Artoo; he hid the character in both 2009's Star Trek and its sequel Star Trek Into Darkness, in a pair of cute cameos that represent one of the only big-screen crossovers between Star Wars and Star Trek to date. Maybe he can return balance to the franchises by sneaking a Tribble into Episode VII.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week