he draw for the group stage of the 2014 World Cup took place today in Brazil — and it does not look pretty for the United States.
The FULL DRAW. pic.twitter.com/K6tmQsoy0D— Farayi Mungazi (@BBCFarayi) December 6, 2013
That's right. Not only will the U.S. face off against Germany, ranked the second-best team in the world by FIFA, but also Portugal, which is led by one Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been in amazing form of late. Furthermore, while the U.S. should technically be the favorite against Ghana, the Black Stars have a nasty habit of breaking American hearts at World Cups.
Behold Asamoah Gyan knocking the United States out of the 2010 World Cup, and doing his little victory dance.
Sorry, USA. Better luck in 2018.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week