The draw for the group stage of the 2014 World Cup took place today in Brazil — and it does not look pretty for the United States.
The FULL DRAW. pic.twitter.com/K6tmQsoy0D— Farayi Mungazi (@BBCFarayi) December 6, 2013
That's right. Not only will the U.S. face off against Germany, ranked the second-best team in the world by FIFA, but also Portugal, which is led by one Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been in amazing form of late. Furthermore, while the U.S. should technically be the favorite against Ghana, the Black Stars have a nasty habit of breaking American hearts at World Cups.
Behold Asamoah Gyan knocking the United States out of the 2010 World Cup, and doing his little victory dance.
Sorry, USA. Better luck in 2018.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
Subscribe to the Week