Everything we know about the Birmingham stabbing spree

Man arrested on suspicion of murder and seven counts of attempted murder

crime police line
(Image credit: Getty Images)

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following a series of stabbings across Birmingham yesterday that left one person dead and seven others injured.

The 27-year-old suspect was detained at 4am today at an address in Selly Oak, in the southwest of the city, according to West Midlands Police. He is also being held on seven counts of attempted murder.

The alleged knifeman “was at large for 24 hours following the attacks”, which took place over a 90-minute period early on Sunday and prompted the police “to declare a major incident”, The Guardian reports.

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.


Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

A 23-year-old man was killed in the attacks, while a man and a woman, aged 19 and 32 respectively, suffered critical injuries. Five other people, aged between 23 and 33, were also injured.

All were treated in hospital, with two later discharged.

According to the BBC, police first responded to reports an attack just after 12:30AM yesterday at Birmingham’s Constitution Hill, where a man sustained a superficial injury. Around 20 minutes later, police were called to an attack in Livery Street, near to Snow Hill railway station, in which “a 19-year-old man was critically injured and a woman was also hurt”, the broadcaster reports.

At 1:50AM, police were sent to Irving Street, where a man suffered fatal injuries and another was seriously injured.

Shortly after, officers were called to the city’s Gay Village, where they found a 32-year-old woman with critical injuries. Two men had also suffered stab wounds.

Following the arrest of the suspect, Birmingham’s police commander, Chief Superintendent Steve Graham, said: “Officers worked through yesterday and into the early hours of this morning in a bid to trace the man we believe responsible for these terrible crimes.”

However, the force has faced criticism for “waiting 15 hours until after the last incident to release CCTV video and a description of the suspect”, The Times reports.

Continue reading for free

We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.

Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.

Joe Evans is the world news editor at TheWeek.co.uk. He joined the team in 2019 and held roles including deputy news editor and acting news editor before moving into his current position in early 2021. He is a regular panellist on The Week Unwrapped podcast, discussing politics and foreign affairs. 

Before joining The Week, he worked as a freelance journalist covering the UK and Ireland for German newspapers and magazines. A series of features on Brexit and the Irish border got him nominated for the Hostwriter Prize in 2019. Prior to settling down in London, he lived and worked in Cambodia, where he ran communications for a non-governmental organisation and worked as a journalist covering Southeast Asia. He has a master’s degree in journalism from City, University of London, and before that studied English Literature at the University of Manchester.