Facebook ‘challenge’ dares teens to go missing for 48 hours
Participants get ‘points’ for social media posts while they’re gone

Parents have been warned over a “sick” new game trending on Facebook that dares children to go missing for up to 48 hours.
Young people who participate in the 48-Hour Challenge receive points “for every social media mention while they’re missing”, The Independent reports, so “frantic friends and family who post appeals to find them” are viewed as a boon.
The challenge is inspired by the 72-hour Game that swept Europe a few years ago, says The Sun. That disturbing viral trend saw youngsters dared “to disappear for 24, 48 or even 72 hours”.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
One mother, whose child recently disappeared for 55 hours after signing up for new game, told Belfast Live: “This is a competition and it’s sick. The anxiety it left our family in is unspeakable.”
She told the website: “I was terrified they were dead or would be raped, trafficked or killed. But these kids just think it’s funny. There was not even a moment of remorse when my child was taken into police custody and when the police brought my child home, I could see posts of selfies from the police car.”
Social media giants have seen a surge in reckless challenges in recent years, some of which have had lethal consequences.
Last month the Blue Whale suicide game made headlines after spreading on social media in Russia and across Europe, including the UK, says International Business Times. It has been “linked with over 100 deaths of children”.
The game is run by a group of anonymous “Masters” who encourage “participants to compete in a disturbing series of challenges over the course of 50 days”, the website says.
According to The Sun, teens are instructed “to commit suicide” on the 50th day of the challenge.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
Gaza is running out of cash
Under The Radar Palestinians pay the price as black market springs up around banknotes and coins
By Elizabeth Carr-Ellis, The Week UK Published
-
Law firms: Caving to White House pressure
Feature Trump targets major law firms tied to his past investigations
By The Week US Published
-
Venezuelan deportees: Locked up for tattoos?
Feature A former pro soccer player was deported after U.S. authorities claimed his tattoo proved he belonged to a Venezuelan gang
By The Week US Published
-
What does an ex-executive's new memoir reveal about Meta's free speech pivot?
Today's Big Question 'Careless People' says Facebook was ready to do China censorship
By Joel Mathis, The Week US Published
-
What's Mark Zuckerberg's net worth?
In Depth The Meta magnate's products are a part of billions of lives
By David Faris Last updated
-
TikTok's fate uncertain as weekend deadline looms
Speed Read The popular app is set to be banned in the U.S. starting Sunday
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Meta's right turn on red: Zuckerberg turns toward MAGA
Talking Points Zuckerberg is abandoning fact-checkers to embrace "free speech," a familiar refrain for Trump's cohort
By Theara Coleman, The Week US Published
-
Is 'AI slop' breaking the internet?
In The Spotlight 'Low-quality, inauthentic, or inaccurate' content is taking over social media and distorting search engine results
By The Week UK Published
-
Bluesky: the social media platform causing a mass X-odus
The Explainer Social media platform is enjoying a new influx but can it usurp big rivals?
By Chas Newkey-Burden, The Week UK Published
-
Australia proposes social media ban before age 16
Speed Read Australia proposes social media ban before age 16
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Social media ban: will Australia's new age-based rules actually work?
Talking Point PM Anthony Albanese's world-first proposal would bar children under 16 even if they have parental consent, but experts warn that plan would be ineffective and potentially exacerbate dangers
By Harriet Marsden, The Week UK Published