Italy steps back from euro referendum threat
Currency plebiscite ‘not in the governing coalition’s contract and will not be pursued’ says deputy prime minister
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Italy’s deputy prime minister and leader of the governing 5-star Movement has dismissed talk of a referendum on leaving the euro, easing fears of a hugely destabilising vote that could have ruptured the eurozone.
They had been raised by 5-Star founder Beppe Grillo, who last week said Italy should have a “plan B” to quit the eurozone if economic conditions dictated and that Italians should vote in a referendum to see if a majority wanted to quit the currency.
The new populist government “has spooked investors concerned that Italy may be headed toward an exit from the euro common currency”, says Bloomberg. Reuters reports that Grillo’s latest comments “sent ripples through financial markets”.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The former comedian-turned politician has upended decades of political consensus in Italy with his anti-establishment movement, and although he holds no official post in the coalition with the far-right League, his comments still carry huge weight with his army of supporters.
His calls for a referendum on the euro date back some years and contrast sharply with the official cabinet position set out by Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, who has repeatedly denied the government’s desire for a plebiscite on the issue.
Renewed talk of a vote prompted the latest intervention from deputy prime minister Luigi Di Maio, who said in an interview published on Sunday that it was not in the governing coalition’s contract and will not be pursued.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
Political cartoons for February 14Cartoons Saturday's political cartoons include a Valentine's grift, Hillary on the hook, and more
-
Tourangelle-style pork with prunes recipeThe Week Recommends This traditional, rustic dish is a French classic
-
The Epstein files: glimpses of a deeply disturbing worldIn the Spotlight Trove of released documents paint a picture of depravity and privilege in which men hold the cards, and women are powerless or peripheral
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military