Having suffered their first league defeat of the season on Saturday at Newcastle, Chelsea could be set to bounce back from their blues with some good old-fashioned retail therapy.
According to the Daily Star, Chelsea have joined Arsenal and Manchester City "in the race for £20m star Marco Reus". The Borussia Dortmund midfielder has a £19.6 million buy-out clause in his contract and the Star claims that City and Arsenal are "already fighting to activate that".
Now Chelsea have muscled in on the action with manager Jose Mourinho looking to the German World Cup winner as a New Year buy. The fee is peanuts to the Blues and apparently Mourinho feels the 25-year-old Reus would work well in the midfield alongside Eden Hazard and Oscar.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Meanwhile the Sunday People says that Liverpool are "pushing on with their bid" to land West Ham's Winston Reid. The Kiwi defender had been rumoured to be on Arsenal's radar last month but it seems the Gunners have decided Ipswich blocker Tyrone Mings would be a better bet.
As a result, says the People, Liverpool will have a free run at Reid next month. His current deal expires at the end of the season and the Hammers would rather sell him in the January transfer window then see him leave on a free in June. Asked about Reid's future at West Ham, manager Sam Allardyce replied: "His contract situation is an ongoing factor between the owner and his agent. I would imagine one or both are going to come to the conclusion this has gone as far as it's going to go and can't go any farther."The Daily Mail says that Liverpool are also after Colombian Jackson Martinez, though the Porto striker is also an object of interest for Tottenham. The Porto frontman is likely to be on the market next month and the paper says he's "at the top of both clubs wish lists".
The South American sharpshooter comes with a £30m price tag and Porto are said to be confident of getting that sum in its entirety. The Mail adds that whichever club loses out on Martinez is likely to console themselves with West Brom's Saido Berahino, with the Baggies reportedly ready to accept a bid in the region of £25m for the 21-year-old England striker.
And why are Liverpool in the hunt for a new frontman? Because the Daily Express says that manager Brendan Rodgers is approaching the end of his tether with Mario Balotelli. The paper reports that Rodgers has warned the Italian that his "Anfield career is on the line" after a series of misdemeanours since his controversial £16 million summer move from AC Milan, the latest being an offensive message on Instagram.
With Daniel Sturridge currently sidelined by injury, Rodgers has no choice but to carry on with Balotelli but it's believed he could be on his way out in a few weeks if he fails to heed his final warning.
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.