England vs. South Africa
- What: 2019 Rugby World Cup final
- When: Saturday 2 November
- Where: International Stadium, Yokohama, Japan
- Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
- UK start time: 9am
- UK TV coverage: live on ITV
The Rugby World Cup final between England and South Africa is the focus of the newspaper back pages today.
England take on the Springboks in Yokohama tomorrow and are aiming to lift the Webb Ellis Cup for the second time in their history.
Metro, The Guardian and The Times report that Eddie Jones has issued a final rallying cry to the England squad and has urged his players to go out and “inspire the nation” by winning the World Cup.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Jones, who has selected an unchanged XV for the final against the Springboks, said: “We will play with no fear. How fantastic is it for a young bunch of guys we have?
“It’s the biggest sporting event on at that time. Saturday is the biggest sporting event in the world. And our players get to play in that arena, what an exciting opportunity for them to be themselves, to play with spirit, to play with pride and an English style of play.”
When asked about the potential impact of a World Cup win, he added: “They can inspire a whole country now, they can inspire a sporting community.
“That’s the opportunity they’ve got and all the messages that we’ve seen back in England at the moment is that there’s a bit of a rugby fever going on, so now mums are telling kids ‘play rugby’, be the next Kyle Sinckler, be the next Ellis Genge, and that’s the opportunity they’ve got.
“It changes how the country feels about itself for a period of time – it might change at the next general election – but for a period of time it changes how people feel about themselves and that’s the greatest joy.
“You’ve got this opportunity to change people’s lives through the ability to play rugby, and it’s a gift isn’t it?”
Tomorrow’s Rugby World Cup final between England and South Africa kicks off at 9am (UK time) and is live on ITV. Coverage starts at 7am.
Today’s newspaper back pages
Rugby World Cup further reading
- England vs. South Africa: preview, team news, starting XVs
- England coach Eddie Jones issues final rallying cry
- Rugby World Cup final: pundit predictions and betting odds
- Where to watch the Rugby World Cup final in London and England: pubs, clubs, events and special screenings
- Eddie Jones won’t be satisfied until England are the best
- England fined for their response to the New Zealand haka
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.