The daily gossip: Taylor Lautner marries Taylor Lautner, Disney sinks Margot Robbie's female-led Pirates of the Caribbean, and more
Today's top entertainment and celebrity news
Taylor Lautner marries Taylor Lautner
Call me by your name is right. Twilight star Taylor Lautner has married his partner Taylor Dome, a registered nurse, at a winery in California. They announced their engagement last year, and on The Kelly Clarkson Show, he confirmed she'd be taking his last name — meaning she will now be known as … Taylor Lautner. "We already share one name," he said. "It's going to be extra complicated. We're literally going to be the same person. How narcissistic?" Sharing the same first name was already bad enough, though Lautner — that is, Taylor Lautner … that is, the Twilight actor — told Clarkson that friends refer to them as "Taylor" and "Tay," or "Boy Tay" and "Girl Tay." Lautner, by the way, once dated Taylor Swift, and some fans have speculated her song "Midnight Rain," which is about a boyfriend who wanted to get married, was inspired by him — so in another universe, everyone's jamming to "Taylor Lautner's Midnights."
Disney sinks Margot Robbie's female-led 'Pirates of the Caribbean'
Dead films tell no tales. In a new Vanity Fair profile, Margot Robbie revealed a female-led Pirates of the Caribbean movie she was working on with Disney is no longer happening. "We had an idea and we were developing it for a while, ages ago, to have more of a female-led — not totally female-led, but just a different kind of story — which we thought would've been really cool," she explained. The Pirates project was reported to be in the works in 2020 with the writer of Birds of Prey on board, and The Hollywood Reporter said this "female-fronted" film would be a "wholly original story," rather than a spinoff of the Johnny Depp-led series. But Robbie now tells Vanity Fair, "I guess they don't want to do it," with the "they" being Disney. It's not clear why the movie is now dead in the water, but Robbie will always remember this as the day she almost caught a role in the franchise.
Nick Cannon: I pay 'a lot more' than $3 million a year in child support
The bills are adding up. As he prepares to welcome his 12th child, Nick Cannon has revealed he's paying significantly more than $3 million in child support a year. A recent report from The Sun estimated he pays almost $3 million in child support annually, but he called fake news — because the number is actually way higher. "I definitely spend a lot more than that on my children annually," Cannon told the Neighborhood Talk, adding, "I don't plan to ever have to participate in the governmental system of child." He has 11 children with six different women, and he's expecting his 12th. It's unclear how much of his salary is just going to child support at this point, but if you start seeing random costumes from past seasons of The Masked Singer show up on eBay, that might be why. Might we kindly suggest Cannon Google the phrase "cost of getting a vasectomy"?
Jay Leno seriously burned after car 'erupted into flames'
Jay Leno is recovering and reportedly in stable condition after a scary car fire left him with serious burns. The former Tonight Show host was taken to a burn center after being injured when a car in his garage "erupted into flames without warning," TMZ reported on Monday. He was reportedly burned on the left side of his face, though TMZ says the flames "thankfully did not penetrate his eye or his ear." Leno was previously forced to cancel a gig in Las Vegas, and an email sent to attendees said this was due to a "very serious medical emergency." According to Variety, Leno is now in stable condition, and he confirmed in a statement, "I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet."
J.K. Rowling rebuffed 'Cursed Child' movie in 2020, report says
On a scale from one to 10, how likely is a Harry Potter and the Cursed Child movie? We'll say nine and three-quarters. After Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav recently said he wants to work with J.K. Rowling on more Harry Potter movies, there was widespread speculation the studio could adapt the stage show Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which would involve bringing back the original cast. Well, now Puck reports Warner Bros. executive Toby Emmerich met with Rowling's business partner in 2020 and floated a "two-film adaptation of" Cursed Child. Rowling wasn't interested — "at least not then" — partially because this would seem like an admission that the Fantastic Beasts movies failed, the report says. But Puck reports the Fantastic Beasts franchise is "almost certainly dead," even though two more films were planned, and the studio aims to "go hard after Cursed Child again" — and, presumably, pray that Twitter really does die so Rowling might finally log off.