The daily gossip: Elton John was hospitalized after a fall, Florence Welch had life-saving surgery, and more

Today's top entertainment and celebrity news

Elton John in a gold suit
Elton John is back home and in 'good health'
(Image credit: Leon Neal / Getty Images)

1. Elton John was hospitalized after a fall at his home

Sir Elton John is still standing. The 76-year-old "Rocket Man" singer is "in good health" after spending the night in the hospital due to a fall, a spokesman told BBC News. "Following a slip yesterday at his home in the south of France," John "visited the local hospital as a precautionary measure" and was treated for minor injuries, the spokesperson said. After his checkups, John was discharged Monday morning and is now back home. He has been in France since finishing his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road" tour, which he said will mark his last time touring live and stands as the highest-grossing concert tour in history. He previously postponed tour dates in 2021 after suffering a hip injury.

2. Florence Welch reveals she had emergency surgery that 'saved my life'

Florence Welch is lucky to be alive. The Florence + The Machine lead singer revealed on Instagram she's recovering from life-saving surgery. "My feet are fine, I had to have emergency surgery for reasons I don't really feel strong enough to go into yet, but it saved my life," she shared, noting this is why she recently canceled some shows. Welch didn't go into detail, but the band postponed its tour in November after she broke her foot on stage. At the time, Welch said she was told "not to perform to avoid further damage." But Welch promised to return for shows in Lisbon and Malaga — "maybe not jumping so much," she stressed, "but you can do that for me."

The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

Instagram

3. Adele stops performing to call out security for allegedly bothering a fan

Go easy on him. Adele recently stopped performing during her Las Vegas residency to defend a fan who was allegedly being bothered by security. Video showed the singer stopping in the middle of "Water Under the Bridge" to point into the audience, asking, "What is going on with that young fan there? He's been bothered so much since I came on for standing up." She continued by asking security to lay off. "He's been bothered the whole show by security and other people sitting behind him," Adele said. "He's here to have fun, alright?" The moment comes after a similar incident where Taylor Swift told security to stop bothering a fan, so one more and we officially have a trend.

PopBase

4. Denis Villeneuve wants to make a third 'Dune' film

He may be "Dune" it all over again. Director Denis Villeneuve told Empire he hopes to make one more "Dune" film after "Part Two." The upcoming sequel adapts the second half of Frank Herbert's original 1965 novel, the first half of which was covered in 2021's "Dune." But there's also a second "Dune" book, "Dune Messiah," and Villeneuve hopes to turn this into a third movie. "If I succeed in making a trilogy, that would be the dream," he said, teasing that there are already "words on paper" for "Part Three." Villeneuve isn't interested in adapting the "Dune" books after "Messiah," though, noting that they're "more … esoteric. Still, when Chani said that this is only the beginning, she wasn't kidding.

Empire

5. Disney+ won't air completed show 'The Spiderwick Chronicles'

Congratulations, "The Spiderwick Chronicles," on officially becoming the new "Batgirl." A TV series adaptation of the "Spiderwick Chronicles" books isn't moving forward at Disney+, even though the eight-episode series was already completed, according to Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter. Deadline described this as a cost-cutting measure for Disney, which is rethinking its streaming strategy with plans to focus Disney Branded Television more heavily on "Disney-owned IP" going forward. According to the Reporter, "The Spiderwick Chronicles" is now being shopped to other potential buyers. The move came after Warner Bros. similarly shelved a nearly completed "Batgirl" movie last year in another surprising cost-cutting move, so perhaps the projects most at risk are those named after animals with their own Halloween decorations.

Deadline The Hollywood Reporter

Explore More
Brendan Morrow

Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.