Israeli ultra-orthodox protest against army draft
Israeli government plans to enlist 5,200 ultra-orthodox Jews – previously exempt from the draft – by mid-2017

HUNDREDS of thousands of ultra-orthodox Jews blocked streets in Jerusalem on Sunday in protest against plans to conscript members of their community for Israeli military service.
The proposed bill will lift a longstanding exemption that has been in place since Israel's foundation, protecting seminary students from the national draft.
The law was originally put in place in 1948 to foster religious scholars to "replace those who perished in Europe during the Nazi Holocaust", The Independent reports. The original exemption covered several hundred people, but over the years the numbers have swelled. Ultra-orthodox Jews – or Haredim – now account for 10 per cent of Israel's eight million people.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The question of whether or not Haredim should be excluded from the draft has become an "emotional national debate", The Guardian says.
Ultra-orthodox Jews are reportedly a fast-growing and relatively poor social group within Israel. A large percentage of Haredi men are officially unemployed, dedicating their lives to the study of scripture and living off government benefits.
"The ultra-orthodox community is resented by many Israelis who accuse the Haredim of burdening the economy and spongeing off the state while avoiding the duties that bind others," The Guardian says.
Sunday's protest was one of the largest demonstrations in Israel's history. Seas of ultra-Orthodox men and women gathered in Jerusalem's main thoroughfares to pray for change. Some wore signs carrying slogans including "war on religion" and "we will not join the military," The Telegraph reports. If the bill passes, those who resist conscription could potentially face jail.
Almost all Israeli men and women over the age of 18 are obliged to do military service. The move to abolish the exemption comes at a time when government does not include any ultra-orthodox parties.
Yair Lapid, Israel's Finance Minister and leader of the secularist Yesh Atid party, pursued the bill to fulfil his promise to secular voters.
The new law has been hailed by supporters as an historic step, but some say that its implementation will take too long. In the four-years it will take the bill to come into force, critics worry that it could be overturned. If that doesn't happen, the government says its goal is to enlist 5,200 ultra-Orthodox soldiers by mid-2017.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
Trump's actions cut a wide swath across Hawaii's economy
In Depth The state's tourism and farming sectors are two of the largest hit industries
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
5 immersive books to read this April for a brief escape
The Week Recommends A dystopian tale takes us to the library, a journalist's ode to her refugee parents and more
By Theara Coleman, The Week US Published
-
'The winners and losers of AI may not be where we expect'
Instant Opinion Opinion, comment and editorials of the day
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
Is Israel annexing Gaza?
Today's Big Question Israeli army prepares a major ground offensive and is said to have plans to 'fully occupy the territory'
By Harriet Marsden, The Week UK Published
-
'Like a sound from hell': Serbia and sonic weapons
The Explainer Half a million people sign petition alleging Serbian police used an illegal 'sound cannon' to disrupt anti-government protests
By Abby Wilson Published
-
Israel detains director after West Bank settler clash
speed read The director of Oscar-winning documentary 'No Other Land' was arrested and beaten
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Israel strikes Gaza, breaking ceasefire
Speed Read 326 Palestinians were killed in the first major attack since Netanyahu's government signed a ceasefire agreement with Hamas
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The arrest of the Philippines' former president leaves the country's drug war in disarray
In the Spotlight Rodrigo Duterte was arrested by the ICC earlier this month
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
Ukrainian election: who could replace Zelenskyy?
The Explainer Donald Trump's 'dictator' jibe raises pressure on Ukraine to the polls while the country is under martial law
By Sorcha Bradley, The Week UK Published
-
Why Serbian protesters set off smoke bombs in parliament
THE EXPLAINER Ongoing anti-corruption protests erupted into full view this week as Serbian protesters threw the country's legislature into chaos
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Why is Netanyahu pushing into the West Bank now?
TODAY'S BIG QUESTION Israeli tanks have entered some Palestinian cities for the first time in decades. What's behind this latest assault on the occupied territory, and where could it lead if left unchecked?
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published