×
September 23, 2015

When Yale graduate and conservative activist Tyler Carlisle attacked his friend, Yale undergraduate Alexander Michaud, with a knife last May and then jumped to his death from a 9th-story window, Yale University was puzzled. But now that Gawker has obtained the police report from the New Haven Police Department, the details of the incident — and the police's "pretty strong sense" of Carlisle's motives — have become much clearer.

According to the report, the men "were engaged in a threesome with a female Yale undergraduate, whose attentions on Michaud apparently inspired Carlisle to stab his longtime friend in the neck and then kill himself." Michaud offered this statement to police:

Michaud, [redacted], and Carlisle had all been drinking. The three of them were having sex in the bedroom, and Carlisle started to get jealous of Michaud and [redacted]. Carlisle grabbed a knife that was on the nightstand next to the bed. Carlisle stabbed Michaud in the neck area. Michaud does not remember how he got to the living room. Michaud sat on the chair in the living room and told [redacted] to call "911." [Redacted] grabbed a white t-shirt and held it to Michaud's neck to stop the bleeding. Carlisle then went to the living room and started pacing back and forth, saying "I'm sorry." Carlisle sat on the window sill and said he was going to jump. Michaud did not see Carlisle jump out of the window." [Gawker]

Previously, the presence of the female at the scene of the crime had not been reported or associated with the case, and thus her name has been redacted. The incident happened at Carlisle's apartment on a street running through the center of campus, and was reportedly fueled by drinking. Becca Stanek

4:58p.m.

FBI agents arrested 56-year-old Cesar Altieri Sayoc on Friday, charging him with five counts in relation to explosive-laden packages that appeared around the country this week. The FBI identified 13 packages that likely came from Sayoc, and he now faces 48 years in prison, per a Department of Justice complaint.

Fingerprint evidence and "possible DNA association" connected the suspicious packages addressed to former government officials, donors, and politicians critical of President Trump, the filing showed. The packages came from a Florida postal center near where Sayoc lives, and addressees' names featured misspellings that were frequent on Sayoc's social media accounts. All 13 packages contained "potentially explosive" materials that were "not hoax devices," FBI Director Chris Wray confirmed in a Friday press conference. There may be other packages in transit, he said.

After Sayoc's arrest, images began circulating of a van covered in anti-CNN and pro-Trump stickers taken into FBI custody. The Friday filings confirm the van belonged to Sayoc.

In the conference, Attorney General Jeff Sessions specified that Sayoc is charged with threats against former presidents and illegal mailing of explosives, among other charges. Sessions closed the hearing by saying he didn't know why Sayoc targeted Democrats, but added that he "appears to be a partisan." Read the entire complaint against Sayoc here. Kathryn Krawczyk

3:56p.m.

Not even authorities' confirmation that suspected mail bomber Cesar Sayoc owned a van covered in pro-Trump stickers is enough to convince some that this isn't all just a "false flag" operation.

Far-right activist and Trump supporter Laura Loomer on Twitter Friday wondered aloud why the suspected bomber's van, which the FBI seized Friday, looks "brand new." Sayoc's van was covered in pro-Trump stickers, including some that depicted crosshairs over prominent Democrats like Hillary Clinton. But Loomer dismissed this by contending the stickers seemed to be "printed yesterday," implying a wild conspiracy is afoot. In another tweet, she sarcastically asked for "nature-proof Trump stickers" and questioned why the ones on the van weren't damaged in Hurricane Michael.

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh made a similarly wild argument on his show Friday, using the fact that the stickers aren't faded from sunlight as "evidence" that this is all a ruse, The New York Times' Trip Gabriel reports. This theory is despite Sayoc's apparent longstanding social media profiles, that are reportedly full of right-wing conspiracy theories, threats against Democrats, and videos taken at Trump rallies. Sayoc's fingerprints were discovered on one of the pipe bombs, authorities said. The "false flag" theory is also in spite of the fact that numerous Twitter users have posted pictures of the van covered in the same stickers that they say were taken up to a year ago.

Many in the conservative media over the past few days have been floating conspiracy theories that a Democrat was responsible for the attempted attacks or that the entire thing was a hoax. Limbaugh previously suggested that it would "make a lot of sense for a Democrat operative or Democrat-inculcated lunatic to do it." FBI Director Christopher Wray said during a news conference Friday afternoon that the pipe bombs were "not hoax devices," and Attorney General Jeff Sessions that the suspect "appears to be a partisan." Brendan Morrow

3:11p.m.

Apple may still reign as America's most valuable company, but now there's a new No. 2 in town.

Microsoft surpassed Amazon to once again become the second most valuable U.S. company on Friday, the Financial Times reports. The company just unveiled a standout quarter, saving it from a massive selloff that slammed Amazon and other tech stocks.

On Wednesday, Microsoft revealed that it exceeded third quarter profit expectations thanks to its cloud computing business, Reuters details. Shares have since risen nearly four percent, producing an estimated $823 billion valuation on Friday. Meanwhile, Amazon's quarterly results didn't look as good, causing shares to drop and leaving the company with an $805 billion valuation on Friday.

Even with a not-so-bright future foreshadowed by the last quarter, Amazon's share valuation is still up 40 percent so far this year, Reuters notes. Microsoft's is only up 25 percent. Meanwhile, Apple crossed the $1 trillion mark in September and hasn't dropped below it since. Its third quarter results are still forthcoming. Kathryn Krawczyk

2:55p.m.

After a quick comment about the arrest of a suspected mail bomber, President Trump swiftly moved on to making some highly questionable comments at a White House event.

During a speech to black conservatives on Friday, Trump bragged that the economy has improved so much that ex-convicts are able to get good jobs. "Incredible," he said of the newly-employed ex-convicts. But he then corrected himself to say that some of the ex-convicts aren't so incredible, and "even in this room, we probably have a couple of bad ones." The Young Black Leadership Summit crowd laughed as Trump continued to riff and ask, "Are there any bad ones? Right?"

The president also said that he thinks the African-American community appreciates these job opportunities for ex-convicts "maybe more than anything we've done," noting to himself that this is something he should bring up more often.

Trump went back and forth between using a teleprompter to speaking off-the-cuff during the speech, which was full of plenty of other strange remarks — like an aside expressing hope that it would one day be acceptable again to call people "beautiful" and "handsome" in public. Watch Trump's comments below. Brendan Morrow

1:58p.m.

The ax has fallen at Netflix once again.

American Vandal has been canceled after two seasons, Netflix confirmed to Variety. The acclaimed true-crime mockumentary series released its second season just one month ago, portraying two student filmmakers attempting to uncover the truth behind a juvenile prank that engulfs a high school in controversy. In a statement, Netflix expressed gratitude to the show's cast, crew, and fans.

Critics believe part of the reason behind the cancelation may be that American Vandal was a co-production with CBS. Netflix has recently canceled a number of shows that were also co-productions, including Iron Fist and Luke Cage, both of which came from ABC Studios, The Hollywood Reporter observes. The streaming service going forward seems to be interested in focusing on shows that it owns outright.

But CBS still wants to continue the series somewhere else, per The Hollywood Reporter, and the network has reportedly already received some interest. The obvious candidate would be CBS' own streaming service, All Access, so for now, don't count Peter Maldonado and Sam Ecklund out just yet. Brendan Morrow

1:49p.m.

Megyn Kelly Today won't be returning after this week's hiatus, NBC announced Friday.

The end of Kelly's morning show comes after she suggested blackface wasn't offensive on her Tuesday show. Kelly later apologized, but her show went off the air for the rest of the week. Reports soon hinted that Kelly wouldn't return, and NBC confirmed as much in a brief statement Friday.

NBC gave no explanation for why Kelly's show was canceled. An earlier report said she'd spent weeks discussing a departure in order to focus on hard news and politics, and that an impending end to her show had nothing to do with the blackface comments. Kelly hosted a Fox News show for several years before she joined NBC in early 2017, and reportedly makes $20 million each year. Kathryn Krawczyk

1:45p.m.

Sen. Bob Menendez's (D-N.J.) worst nightmares are coming true in New Jersey's Senate race.

In such a reliably blue state, two-term incumbent Menendez was originally favored to win re-election over Republican challenger Bob Hugin this fall. But amid scandals and nasty political ads, the Cook Political Report has moved the race from "likely Democrat" to "toss-up," it announced Friday.

The shift comes as poll after poll has shown Menendez's lead slipping, with the latest Rutgers-Eagleton study putting him just five points ahead of Hugin. That's just outside the study's margin of error of 3.6 percentage points, and a huge shift from the 17-point lead Menendez had in March. Similarly risky Senate races for Democrats have so far come in states that voted for President Trump in 2016. But 55 percent of New Jersey went to Hillary Clinton, and the state hasn't elected a Republican senator since 1972.

In this case, it seems Menendez's ethics scandals are the problem. Menendez has been accused of using his Senate seat to benefit a wealthy friend in exchange for campaign donations and private jet rides, and was indicted in 2015 on federal corruption charges. Those charges were eventually dismissed, but an anonymous tipster accused Menendez of soliciting underage prostitutes as part of his corrupt spending. That uncorroborated account is now the subject of a harsh and misleading ad from Hugin, who's wildly outspent Menendez on TV ads, says the Cook Political Report. Couple that with the fact that 54 percent of New Jersey voters say Menendez's trial factors into their vote, per the Rutgers-Eagleton poll, and Menendez seems to have two very rough weeks ahead. Kathryn Krawczyk

See More Speed Reads