Kudlow says Trump's jobs report tweet was totally legal. Other economists disagree.
President Trump's seemingly inconsequential tweet about the Labor Department's new jobs report broke with presidential protocol, and some experts say it may have actually violated insider trading laws.
Trump foreshadowed a positive jobs report, tweeting that he was "looking forward" to seeing the numbers a full hour before they were made public. Officials are briefed on the Labor Department's reports before they are released, but they are not supposed to comment publicly on them ahead of time, The New York Times reports.
National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow said that he told Trump about the report on Thursday night, but denied that Trump's tweet was problematic. "I don't think he gave anything away, incidentally. I think this is all according to routine, law and custom,” Kudlow said on CNBC.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Austan Goolsbee, who was chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers under former President Obama, disagreed. "If the president just tipped that the numbers are good, he broke the law," Goolsbee tweeted in response to Trump's post. After the jobs report revealed numbers that Trump was surely celebrating, Goolsbee said that Trump had likely broken a rule that "forbids executive branch employees from revealing the info," a rule that is also reflected in Office of Management and Budget documents.
Other economists who have worked for the U.S. agreed with Goolsbee, telling The Washington Post that Trump's tweet was "a no-no" that undermined the data's "independence and credibility."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
How AI chatbots are ending marriagesUnder The Radar When one partner forms an intimate bond with AI it can all end in tears
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
