Trump is exploring 'creative ways' to fund the wall without Congress
Just because President Trump didn't declare a national emergency during his address Tuesday doesn't mean that he's not still considering it, along with some other extreme options.
In fact, a source close to Trump told Axios that the president declaring a national emergency to get his border wall funded without congressional approval "remains the most likely ultimate option." Trump said last week he's open to this after ABC News reported that the administration was considering such a move. "Absolutely we can call a national emergency because of the security of our country," Trump said. "Absolutely." White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders also said Wednesday that a national emergency declaration is "certainly still on the table," per CBS News' Mark Knoller.
This controversial option would involve Trump redirecting government resources and getting the wall funded without approval from Congress. Axios reports that the White House Office of Management and Budget is "exploring" a variety of "creative ways" to get the wall funded without Congress, including using money from the Pentagon.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The legality of any of these steps would almost certainly be challenged, and Axios notes that conservatives around Trump "don't like what they view as an abuse of this authority." In Trump's Oval Office address, he claimed there is "a growing humanitarian and security crisis" at the border, attempting to put pressure on Democrats to agree to fund his wall, a showdown over which sparked the ongoing government shutdown. He said last week that although there may be other options to secure funding, he's giving negotiating with Congress "a shot."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
How AI chatbots are ending marriagesUnder The Radar When one partner forms an intimate bond with AI it can all end in tears
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
