Protesters gather in Sacramento after D.A. announces officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark will not be charged
The decision to not charge the Sacramento police officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark last year sparked public outcry in Sacramento on Saturday.
Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced on Saturday that no criminal charges will be filed against the officers, who fired their weapons 20 times at Clark, an unarmed black man, who was in his grandmother's backyard.
"Was a crime committed? There's no question that a human being died," Schubert said. "But when we look at the facts and the law, and we follow our ethical responsibilities, the answer to that question is no." Schubert said that the prosecution determined that the officers had probable cause to stop and detain Clark. Timothy Davis, the president of the Sacramento Police Officers Association, said that the case had seen "unprecedented levels of transparency and oversight."
As a result of the decision, protesters convened outside police headquarters in Sacramento on Saturday evening.
Clark's mother told reporters she was outraged by the ruling. "They executed my son," she said of the officers.