Trump administration's new work requirements could mean more than 600,000 people lose access to food stamps
A new rule from the Trump administration could prevent more than 600,000 people from gaining access to food stamps, NBC News reports.
The Trump administration Wednesday formalized work requirements for childless, able-bodied people between the ages of 18 and 49 to gain access to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Currently, that group, which the Agriculture Department estimates could include around 688,000 people, is required to work at least 20 hours a week for more than three months over a 36-month period to qualify, but states can provide waivers for areas with high unemployment. Under the new rules, it will be more difficult to obtain those waivers, which will be applicable to areas with a minimum of 6 percent unemployment.
Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said the rule change is meant to "restore the dignity of work" and that SNAP, like other welfare programs, "was never intended to be a way of life."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The move has been met with criticism. Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) said the Trump administration is not considering how the rule will affect people with "seasonal or part time jobs with unreliable hours," while Stacy Dean — the food assistance policy vice president at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities — noted the new rules don't do anything to help people "find steady full-time work."
Attempts to add work requirements to SNAP were voted down in the House and Senate last year. Read more at NBC News.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Tim is a staff writer at The Week and has contributed to Bedford and Bowery and The New York Transatlantic. He is a graduate of Occidental College and NYU's journalism school. Tim enjoys writing about baseball, Europe, and extinct megafauna. He lives in New York City.
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Quiz of The Week: 22 – 28 NovemberQuiz Have you been paying attention to The Week’s news?
-
The week’s best photosIn Pictures Ready for lift-off, the odd one out, and more
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
