the war is just beginning
This will be a day long remembered.
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is about to hit theaters, bringing the Skywalker saga to a close. But this is, of course, not the end of Star Wars itself. So what's next for the franchise? Always in motion is the future, but here's what we know.
2. Star Wars Resistance and The Clone Wars - These two animated series will air their final episodes in early 2020 on Disney Channel and Disney+, respectively.
3. An Obi-Wan series - Ewan McGregor returns as Obi-Wan Kenobi in this upcoming live-action Disney+ show set after Revenge of the Sith.
4. A Cassian Andor series - Disney+ is also getting a live-action series revolving around Cassian Andor, Diego Luna's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story character.
5. A 2022 movie - The next film after The Rise of Skywalker is set for 2022. Originally, this first installment in a series was to be written and produced by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, but they've since left the project. The plan was reportedly to focus on the origin of the Jedi, but it's unclear if someone else will tackle that now.
6. A Rian Johnson trilogy - Johnson, The Last Jedi's writer and director, was tapped for a new Star Wars trilogy said to "introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."
Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige is also set to develop an upcoming film, although it's unclear what that will be. Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy recently said, though, that future movies won't necessarily have to adhere to the trilogy structure.
Future details about the upcoming movies remain unclear. But as Disney CEO Bob Iger told The Star Wars Show this week, "we're just getting started."