The creators of Game of Thrones are no longer making the next Star Wars movies


There has been a disturbance in the Force at Lucasfilm — again.
Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have suddenly dropped out of their planned series of Star Wars films, Deadline reports.
Benioff and Weiss were brought into the galaxy far, far away in 2018, when Lucasfilm announced they would write and produce a "series" of Star Wars movies, the first of which was later set for a 2022 release. This would make it the first Star Wars film to be released after December's era-concluding Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
But since then, Benioff and Weiss signed a deal with Netflix, and the duo cite this as their reason for leaving. "There are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects," they said in a statement.
Benioff and Weiss, who recently wrapped up a controversial final Game of Thrones season, join a long line of creators who have exited Star Wars projects going back to director Josh Trank, who exited a planned Star Wars spinoff in 2015. Then there was Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who were controversially fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story and replaced by Ron Howard while shooting had already been underway. Colin Trevorrow was also fired from the since-titled Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, leading to J.J. Abrams' return. And while Gareth Edwards remained on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, director Tony Gilroy was brought in for extensive reshoots.
Now, the future of Star Wars, which wraps up its main Skywalker storyline this December, is once again unclear. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, however, was recently brought on board to produce a film, and The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson is seemingly still set to helm a new trilogy unrelated to the Skywalker saga. Benioff and Weiss' project might be dead, but luckily for Lucasfilm, there is another.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
August 30 editorial cartoons
Cartoons Saturday’s political cartoons include Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Donald Trump's role reversal and King George III
-
5 bullseye cartoons about the reasons for mass shootings
Cartoons Artists take on gun worship, a price paid, and more
-
Lisa Cook and Trump's battle for control the US Fed
Talking Point The president's attempts to fire one of the Federal Reserve's seven governor is represents 'a stunning escalation' of his attacks on the US central bank
-
Florida erases rainbow crosswalk at Pulse nightclub
Speed Read The colorful crosswalk was outside the former LGBTQ nightclub where 49 people were killed in a 2016 shooting
-
Trump says Smithsonian too focused on slavery's ills
Speed Read The president would prefer the museum to highlight 'success,' 'brightness' and 'the future'
-
Trump to host Kennedy Honors for Kiss, Stallone
Speed Read Actor Sylvester Stallone and the glam-rock band Kiss were among those named as this year's inductees
-
White House seeks to bend Smithsonian to Trump's view
Speed Read The Smithsonian Institution's 21 museums are under review to ensure their content aligns with the president's interpretation of American history
-
Charlamagne Tha God irks Trump with Epstein talk
Speed Read The radio host said the Jeffrey Epstein scandal could help 'traditional conservatives' take back the Republican Party
-
CBS cancels Colbert's 'Late Show'
Speed Read 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert' is ending next year
-
Shakespeare not an absent spouse, study proposes
speed read A letter fragment suggests that the Shakespeares lived together all along, says scholar Matthew Steggle
-
New Mexico to investigate death of Gene Hackman, wife
speed read The Oscar-winning actor and his wife Betsy Arakawa were found dead in their home with no signs of foul play