Italy: 'Many dead' as avalanche strikes Abruzzo hotel
Rescuers race against time to rescue trapped guests after desperate 'We are freezing to death' text

Italy hit by strongest earthquake in decades
31 October
Central Ialy is recovering from its most powerful earthquake in decades, after a 6.6-magnitude tremor hit the centre of the country, near Norcia, on Sunday morning. Shocks were felt in Rome and Venice.
Around 20 people were injured, some seriously, and many buildings were destroyed, but no deaths have been reported. At least 15,000 people were forced to sleep in temporary shelters, including cars and tents, overnight.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Many casualties were avoided because people had already fled the area following two smaller shocks last week.
The latest tremor comes less than two months after an earthquake killed almost 300 people and destroyed several towns near Amatrice.
Seismologists are concerned more powerful earthquakes may follow. They believe "August's event broke two neighbouring faults, starting on one known as the Laga and then jumping across to one called the Vettore", says BBC science correspondent Jonathan Amos.
While recent tremors have relieved tension in the upper sections of these faults, "the big question is whether the deeper segments have now failed in the latest event", he says.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Renato Boccardo, the Archbishop of Spoleto-Norcia, said everyone has been "suspended in a never-ending state of fear and stress" and are "at their wits' end".
Infographic by statista.com for TheWeek.co.uk.
Italy rocked by two more earthquakes
27 October
Two powerful earthquakes struck central Italy last night, about 50 miles north of the site of a deadly quake that claimed 300 lives in August. Several people were injured, but no deaths have been reported.
The first tremor, measuring magnitude-5.5, occurred near Visso at 7pm local time, while the second quake, measuring 6.1, took place two hours later and "could be felt strongly in Rome", more than 150 miles away.
The earthquakes caused severe damage to buildings in the area, particularly in the small town of Ussita.
Mayor Marco Rinaldi described scenes of chaos among panicked residents.
"It was a very strong earthquake, apocalyptic. Many houses have collapsed. Our town is finished," he said.
The town of Camerino also suffered significant damage. "Everyone is leaving Camerino by foot or car to seek safety," a witness told the BBC. "Two churches are destroyed and many houses [have] fallen."
The full extent of the damage will be assessed by emergency workers once dawn has broken.
The US Geological Survey says both earthquakes were "relatively shallow" and centred around six miles below the surface.
Shallow earthquakes tend to cause more shaking. When "coupled with sometimes centuries-old infrastructure, as is the case in many of the hilltop towns of Italy, these quakes can cause significant damage", says USA Today.
Two months ago, an earthquake struck the town of Amatrice, 45 miles away, killing more than 300 people.
-
August 30 editorial cartoons
Cartoons Saturday’s political cartoons include Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Donald Trump's role reversal and King George III
-
5 bullseye cartoons about the reasons for mass shootings
Cartoons Artists take on gun worship, a price paid, and more
-
Lisa Cook and Trump's battle for control the US Fed
Talking Point The president's attempts to fire one of the Federal Reserve's seven governor is represents 'a stunning escalation' of his attacks on the US central bank
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American cities
Under the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted
-
The Strait of Messina: a bridge too far?
Talking Point Giorgia Meloni's government wants to build the world's longest suspension bridge, fulfilling the ancient Roman vision of connecting Sicily to the Italian mainland
-
How China uses 'dark fleets' to circumvent trade sanctions
The Explainer The fleets are used to smuggle goods like oil and fish
-
One year after mass protests, why are Kenyans taking to the streets again?
today's big question More than 60 protesters died during demonstrations in 2024
-
Superyachts are getting caught up in spy scandals
The Explainer China and Russia have both been accused of spying maneuvers on the open sea
-
What happens if tensions between India and Pakistan boil over?
TODAY'S BIG QUESTION As the two nuclear-armed neighbors rattle their sabers in the wake of a terrorist attack on the contested Kashmir region, experts worry that the worst might be yet to come
-
Why Russia removed the Taliban's terrorist designation
The Explainer Russia had designated the Taliban as a terrorist group over 20 years ago
-
Inside the Israel-Turkey geopolitical dance across Syria
THE EXPLAINER As Syria struggles in the wake of the Assad regime's collapse, its neighbors are carefully coordinating to avoid potential military confrontations