Indonesia: dozens shot dead in Asian Games ‘clean-up’
Amnesty International says police were gunning down petty criminals with impunity
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
A crackdown on petty crime in Indonesia as the country prepares to host the 2018 Asian Games has coincided with a 64% increase in fatal shootings by police officers, according to Amnesty International.
Research conducted by the human rights group found that Indonesian police officers shot dead 77 people this year.
Deaths peaked last month when 14 people were killed and dozens wounded during what Amnesty described as an “excessive” police operation. The aim was to “clean up” the host cities of Jakarta and Palembang ahead of the Games, which run from 18 August to 2 September.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The shootings follow several directives issued in July by high-ranking police officers. Staff were instructed to take firm action against suspects thought to pose a public threat ahead of the influx of overseas visitors, says The Guardian.
Human rights activists say the directives have been widely interpreted as a carte blanche to suppress suspected criminals by whatever means necessary. This includes extrajudicial killing.
Last month, National Police Chief General Tito Karnavian boasted to reporters that he’d told his officers to “finish off” all networks of pickpockets and bag-snatchers, the ABC reports.
“If [they] fight back, don’t hesitate,” he said.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Usman Hamid, Amnesty International’s Indonesia chief, said that the spike in killings revealed a “clear pattern of unnecessary and excessive use of force by the police”.
He added that the officers involved were shielded by a “constant veil of impunity” for their actions, and demanded that action be taken to properly investigate the deaths.
The brutal crackdown was nowhere to be found in President Joko Widodo’s address to the country’s House of Representatives yesterday.
Applauding the Games as a “golden opportunity” to “amaze the world”, Widodo urged the country to come together to “prove that Indonesia is ready to [lift] Asia’s position in the world”, the Jakarta Post reports.
-
Political cartoons for February 16Cartoons Monday’s political cartoons include President's Day, a valentine from the Epstein files, and more
-
Regent Hong Kong: a tranquil haven with a prime waterfront spotThe Week Recommends The trendy hotel recently underwent an extensive two-year revamp
-
The problem with diagnosing profound autismThe Explainer Experts are reconsidering the idea of autism as a spectrum, which could impact diagnoses and policy making for the condition
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military