VIDEO: the gender reveal that started a 47,000-acre wildfire
Dennis Dickey ordered to pay $220,000 over stunt which caused $8m worth of damage
An Arizona couple’s explosive baby announcement sparked a wildfire that destroyed 47,000 acres of land and took a week to extinguish.
US Forest Service officials have released video footage of the disastrous attempt at a unique “gender reveal”, which occurred in April last year, in order to highlight the dangers of starting fires in the wilderness.
The clip shows a makeshift target labelled “boy” and “girl” set up in a field of what appears to be dry grass, near Tucson.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The proud father-to-be, identified as Border Patrol agent Dennis Dickey, then shoots the target, which explodes in a cascade of blue smoke to reveal that he and his wife are expecting a boy.
However, the explosion ignited the surrounding brush almost immediately. A voice on the clip can be heard shouting “Start packing up!” as the fire spreads.
The flames rapidly advanced to nearby Coronado National Forest, “where they became the Sawmill Fire and burned 46,991 acres owned by the state of Arizona, federal agencies and private landowners”, CNN reports.
Firefighters from 20 stations were drafted in to battle the blaze, which raged for a week before it could finally be contained.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Officials estimate that the total cost of the damage amounted to more than $8m (£6.25m)
Authorities said that Dickey, 37, reported the fire immediately and co-operated with investigators, describing how he had packed the target with a highly explosive substance called Tannerite before shooting it with a high-powered rifle.
After pleading guilty to starting a fire without a permit, he received five years probation and must pay $220,000 in installments, Newsweek reports.
Dickey has expressed remorse for starting the destructive conflagration, which he described as “a complete accident” and “the worst day of my life”.
Tiffany Davila, a spokeswoman for the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management, said: “We pass that message on all the time: one spark is all it takes, one spark is all it takes.
“When you see that video, you see how quickly the grasses catch on fire and how quickly it moves.”
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Sudoku medium: November 30, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Wildfires destroy historic Grand Canyon lodgeSpeed Read Dozens of structures on the North Rim have succumbed to the Dragon Bravo Fire
-
Should Los Angeles rebuild its fire-prone neighbourhoods?Talking Point The latest devastating wildfires must be a wake-up call for Los Angels to 'move away from fire-prone suburban sprawl'
-
The worst wildfires in California historyThe Explainer Total damage from the ongoing fires could be up to $150 billion, according to AccuWeather
-
What happens to wildlife during a wildfire?The explainer Flames also affect the flora and fauna
-
Death toll rises in LA fires as wind lull allows progressSpeed Read At least 24 people have died and 100,000 people are under mandatory evacuation orders
-
Biden cancels Italy trip as raging LA fires spreadSpeed Read The majority of the fires remain 0% contained
-
Fast-spreading Los Angeles wildfires spark panicSpeed Read About 30,000 people were under an evacuation order as the inferno spread
-
Unchecked wildfire sears Southern CaliforniaSpeed Read Firefighting crews continue to battle wildfires that have scorched thousands of acres in Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties amid heat wave