Daily gossip

The daily gossip: Shawn Mendes cancels tour to focus on his mental health, Candace Cameron Bure and JoJo Siwa bury the hatchet, and more

Today's top entertainment and celebrity news

1

Shawn Mendes cancels tour to focus on his mental health

Shawn Mendes is putting his mental health first. The "Señorita" singer postponed three weeks of shows on his world tour earlier this month to focus on his mental health, and on Wednesday, he confirmed he's now canceling all the remaining tour dates. "I started this tour excited to finally get back to playing live after a long break due to the pandemic," he told fans, "but the reality is I was not at all ready for how difficult touring would be after this time away." After working with "an incredible group of health professionals," Mendes said he realized he needs to take time "to ground myself and come back stronger," though he added this doesn't mean he'll stop making new music. Mendes was expected to perform in North America, the U.K., and Europe, with tour dates scheduled through summer 2023. The news sparked an outpouring of support, with one fan account tweeting, "Wishing Shawn the best as he takes this time to heal." 

2

Candace Cameron Bure apologizes to JoJo Siwa after being named rudest celebrity

She can explain. Full House star Candace Cameron Bure says she had a "great conversation" with JoJo Siwa after the Dance Moms star named her the rudest celebrity she's ever met. The D.J. Tanner actress says she had no idea what she did when she saw Siwa's viral TikTok, but Siwa told her what happened over the phone: They met at a Fuller House premiere a while back when Siwa was 11, and Bure denied her request to take a picture together on the red carpet, apparently just because she was busy at that moment. "I was like, 'Oh, JoJo, I'm so sorry,'" Bure said, adding she feels "crummy" that she "broke [Siwa's] 11-year-old heart." But according to Bure, Siwa told her it's "seriously not a big deal" and that she didn't expect her TikTok to get so much attention. So eight years after the photo snub, it sounds like Siwa is willing to have mercy

3

Sydney Sweeney has 'always wanted to be a young mom'

Is Sydney Sweeney ready for motherhood? The 24-year-old Euphoria star revealed in a new Hollywood Reporter profile, "I want to have a family, I've always wanted to be a young mom." But Sweeney, who's reportedly engaged to restaurateur Jonathan Davino, reflected she's "worried about how this industry puts stigmas on young women who have children and looks at them in a different light." In fact, she says she once asked her Sharp Objects co-star Amy Adams for advice about this, as Adams became a mom back in 2010. "I was worried that, if I don't work, there is no money and no support for kids I would have," Sweeney said. Adams "assured her it could be done," according to the Reporter. Still, Sweeney remains racked with insecurity about her career and finances, despite being nominated for two Emmys this year. "If I wanted to take a six-month break, I don't have income to cover that," she said, adding, "They don't pay actors like they used to."

4

Austin Butler left in tears after 'Elvis' director had executives heckle him

Austin has left the building … in tears. In a conversation with VMAN, Elvis star Austin Butler shared another bizarre anecdote about the lengths he had to go to to get into character for the film. "When I was on my first day in the recording studio," Butler recounted, director Baz Luhrmann brought "all the executives and everybody from RCA" in, faced them directly toward the actor, and instructed them to brutally heckle him. "So then they were making fun of me and stuff while I was singing," Butler said. That way, when they had to film a scene where Elvis goes on stage and gets heckled, "I knew what that felt like." But even though it was just an acting exercise, Butler recalled, "I went home in tears that night. I really did." If Luhrman wanted to achieve that emotional reaction quicker, couldn't he have just read Butler reviews of Yoga Hosers

5

'Jeopardy!' names Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings permanent hosts

Let's make it a true daily double. The absurdly long Jeopardy! hosting saga has finally reached an end — allegedly — as the show announced Wednesday that Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings have signed deals to share hosting duties going forward. "We have so much Jeopardy! to make, and so many plans for the future, that we always knew we would need multiple hosts," executive producer Michael Davies said. Jennings will be hosting when the new season begins in September, and he'll also host the upcoming Tournament of Champions. Meanwhile, Bialik will take over from Jennings in January, and she'll also host Celebrity Jeopardy!, a college championship, and "a couple of new tournaments." The decision comes almost a year after the show's original plan to have Bialik share hosting duties with Mike Richards imploded over Richards' resurfaced offensive podcast comments. Thankfully, we can avoid another situation like that since there's absolutely nothing controversial in either of these hosts' pasts ... right? 

Recommended

Everything you need to know before watching She-Hulk
She-Hulk.
Briefing

Everything you need to know before watching She-Hulk

The daily gossip: August 17, 2022
Kid Cudi
Daily gossip

The daily gossip: August 17, 2022

Elon Musk urges Grimes not to get 'elf ear surgery'
Elon Musk and Grimes
lend me your ears

Elon Musk urges Grimes not to get 'elf ear surgery'

New Mexico Republicans slam Breaking Bad statues for 'glorifying meth makers'
Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul at Breaking Bad statue unveiling
stay out of my territory

New Mexico Republicans slam Breaking Bad statues for 'glorifying meth makers'

Most Popular

The debate over the Catholicism 'trend'
rosary beads
Opinion

The debate over the Catholicism 'trend'

Starbucks accuses labor board of unfairly helping pro-union workers
Starbucks
union blues

Starbucks accuses labor board of unfairly helping pro-union workers

Senate Republican fund cuts ad spending in key battleground races
Mehmet Oz
2022 ad watch

Senate Republican fund cuts ad spending in key battleground races