Liverpool Fekir deal back on
Liverpool’s interest in World Cup winner Nabil Fekir could be resurrected after a potential deal fell apart earlier in the summer, reports the Daily Mirror.
The paper says that Lyon president Jean Michael Aulas believes the deal could still go through, despite concerns over the 24-year-old’s fitness.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
“Frenchman Fekir had appeared set to move to Anfield over a month ago but his £53m deal collapsed on medical grounds, despite arriving on Merseyside and conducting club interviews,” says the paper.
But Fekir appeared in all France’s World Cup matches, including a late cameo in the final against Croatia on Sunday.
“As things stand, Liverpool have NO plans to return to the table on the terms originally agreed - but Mirror Football understands they would be prepared to listen if a deal was restructured,” adds the Mirror.
It suggests the Reds would be prepared to pay his transfer fee in instalments over the length of his deal if the player avoids injury.
Chelsea in for Higuaín
New Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri wants to sign Gonzalo Higuain and the Blues will hold talks with his agent this week.
According to The Sun, Sarri will waste no time in securing his summer transfer targets.
“Landing a top centre forward remains a top priority after Alvaro Morata flopped with just 11 league goals in his debut season,” says the paper.
“And Higuain, who had a record-breaking season under Sarri when the duo were at Napoli, fits the bill.”
The Argentine striker will cost £44m and Juventus are prepared to sell as they need raise money after signing Cristiano Ronaldo.
The arrival of Higuain could spell the end for Chelsea strikers Morata and Olivier Giroud.
Luke Shaw to stay – for now
Man United defender Luke Shaw will remain at Old Trafford this season, but will leave on a free transfer next summer if he does not win the trust of manager Jose Mourinho this season, says the Manchester Evening News.
“Despite fresh links with a move to Everton, the 23-year-old is still desperate to save his career at Old Trafford,” reports the paper.
“Shaw - who has one year left on his contract - has been encouraged by the news Mourinho has shelved plans to sign a new left back this summer.”
United had been linked with Juventus’ Alex Sandro and Celtic youngster Kieran Tierney, says the MEN.
Shaw joined United for £27m in 2014 but has failed to establish himself at Old Trafford and will be out of contract next year.
Southampton wants Ings
Injury plagued Liverpool striker Danny Ings could be on his way out of Anfield, with Southampton leading the pack of suitors.
“Ings joined Liverpool from Burnley back in 2015 but Mark Hughes is interested in giving the injury-plagued striker a fresh start at St Mary's,” reports the Daily Mail.
Liverpool want £20m for the player, although Saints are only prepared to offer £10m up front.
“The 25-year-old has spent much of his Liverpool career on the sidelines, owing to two serious knee injuries that effectively left him out for the majority of two seasons, and the club may be open to agreeing a deal that takes his problems into account.”
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.