Speed Reads

school's out

New Hampshire district decides to close schools Monday following threat

After a Nashua, New Hampshire, principal received a "detailed threat of violence to harm students and staff," the Nashua School District decided to close all 17 of its schools on Monday.

Nashua police Lt. Kerry Baxter told the Boston Herald the threat was "directed towards the two high schools" for a "specific place and time." Authorities are working to figure out who sent the email and to determine its credibility, and the district won't disclose the name of the principal who received the email or its exact contents. Nashua Superintendent Mark Conrad told the Herald it was a "difficult decision" to shut the schools down, but he decided to "err on the side of caution."

Last week, schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District were closed after school board members received threatening emails. In Nashua, 11,400 students are affected by the school shutdown, and Conrad said he expects classes will resume on Tuesday.