Donald Trump continued praising his hands after the debate featuring his penis joke
During Thursday's Republican presidential debate on Fox News, Donald Trump assured Americans — and anyone else watching — that he doesn't have a small penis. He was reacting to a crude joke rival Marco Rubio told earlier in the week about how Trump has small hands for a man his size and "you know what they say about a man with small hands." At the debate, Trump tried to laugh it off, saying, "He hit my hands. Nobody has ever hit my hands — I've never heard of this. But look at those hands — are they small hands?" He went on to say of the other body part, "I guarantee you there's no problem."
There was mixed reaction to his quip — at Fox News, analyst Bernard Golberg was horrified, Bill O'Reilly wasn't — but this isn't the first time Trump has protested that, as he told the New York Post in 2011, "my fingers are long and beautiful, as, it has been well-documented, are various other parts of my body." And despite his assertion at the debate, this is also demonstrably not the first time somebody has "hit" Trump's hands, and those appendages have proven to be a very sensitive topic for him.
In 1988, when Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter was at Spy Magazine, he began referring to Trump in print as a "short-fingered vulgarian" — and, Carter wrote last November, he still gets "the occasional envelope from Trump" with a photo of him where "he has circled his hand in gold Sharpie in a valiant effort to highlight the length of his fingers." A few weeks ago, Vanity Fair followed up with a taunting photographic analysis of Trump's fingers. After Thursday's debate, Trump couldn't let go of the "hands" moment. "I have good-sized hands, and they say, very beautiful," he told a reporter from Extra, after making him compare hand size:
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
So, we're going to have to rate Trump's claim that he's "never heard of this" hands jibe "pants on fire," and even if it were true, his repeated mentions of his hands Thursday night guarantees that he will be "hit" with this question again.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
The Mushroom Tapes: a compelling deep dive into the trial that gripped AustraliaThe Week Recommends Acclaimed authors team up for a ‘sensitive and insightful’ examination of what led a seemingly ordinary woman to poison four people
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
