×
FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
February 12, 2018
Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Facebook is falling behind in the youth movement. New data shows the social media giant is losing its appeal with teenagers in the U.S., specifically to the photo-sharing app Snapchat.

A new study by the research firm eMarketer found that in 2017 alone, Facebook lost 1.4 million users between the ages of 12 to 17 — a roughly 10 percent drop for that demographic, Recode notes. The fall was even worse than what eMarketer had predicted, having anticipated just a 3.4 percent drop in users aged 12 to 17, Recode reports — and even that modest downturn was the first time eMarketer had ever projected declining user rates for Facebook across any age group.

Most observers agree that there are two factors that are largely responsible for Facebook's teenage exodus: the loss of the ever-important "cool" factor, and teenagers' preference for Snapchat. Facebook's "cool" — or lack thereof — is widely attributed to its appeal among older generations. What growth Facebook is seeing is among older users rather than younger ones, CNBC reported — a "predicament" for the social app, eMarketer's Debra Aho Williamson told CNBC.

By comparison, Snapchat is thriving. Even after it rolled out a widely panned redesign, Snapchat expects to add 1.9 million users under the age of 25 in 2018. Meanwhile, Facebook could lose 2 million in that same demographic, CNBC reports.

While Facebook is losing its hold on the all-important teen demographic, eMarketer still predicts that Facebook's overall user share in the U.S. will grow. Facebook still boasts nearly 170 million American users, compared to Snapchat's 86.5 million. Kelly O'Meara Morales

5:10 p.m. ET

The Democratic National Committee has been trying to sue WikiLeaks for months. It just couldn't find the clandestine group.

So in a rare move, DNC lawyers took to Twitter on Friday to serve four court documents officially suing WikiLeaks over the 2016 DNC email hack. Cohen, Milstein, Sellers & Toll had never tweeted before. But when the firm couldn't reach the secret-leaking nonprofit by email, it opted to serve the suit in a very public tweet, CBS News reports.

The massive lawsuit also targets WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, several Trump campaign officials, and the entire Russian government. It alleges the Trump campaign worked with Russia to leak DNC emails in the summer of 2016, ultimately dooming Hillary Clinton's campaign. WikiLeaks posted the leaked information, apparently tying it into the conspiracy.

The court documents posted on Twitter are dated April 20, 2018, and WikiLeaks indicated it read the lawsuit in a tweet the next day. But the DNC never officially reached WikiLeaks by email to formally sue the site, it told the court last month.

But WikiLeaks uses Twitter every day, so a judge okayed DNC lawyers' stratey to slide into WikiLeaks' Twitter mentions and serve up a lawsuit they couldn't ignore. Read more about the lawsuit at CBS News. Kathryn Krawczyk

5:08 p.m. ET

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach has recused himself from overseeing the recount for the state's Republican gubernatorial primary — but he's not doing so quietly.

In a sharply-worded letter to incumbent Gov. Jeff Colyer (R), who is also his opponent in the race, Kobach conceded that recusing himself was the right thing to do. However, he also accused Colyer of undermining "the public's confidence in the election process," and claimed the governor must not trust Kansas voters. Read the full letter below to see the word "puzzling" wielded like a sword. Summer Meza

4:18 p.m. ET
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is about to be heard.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) has set the first day of Kavanaugh's confirmation hearing for Sept. 4. The proceedings are expected to last three to four days, ABC News reports. Opening statements from the committee will begin Sept. 4, and questioning of Kavanaugh will start the next day.

President Trump nominated Kavanaugh to the bench on July 9 to replace retired Justice Anthony Kennedy. But before Kavanaugh's name was announced, many Senate Democrats pledged resistance to whomever Trump nominated and pushed to hold the confirmation vote until after the November midterm elections. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) pledged to vote on Trump's nominee before then.

In what Republicans saw as a stalling tactic, leading Democrats demanded thousands of pages of Kavanaugh's records from his time working under former President George W. Bush and his last federal court nomination hearing. In particular, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee, refused to meet with Kavanaugh until seeing the records. The Democrats eventually reversed course, recently agreeing to have one-on-one meetings with the nominee starting Aug. 15. Kathryn Krawczyk

3:12 p.m. ET

President Trump used to be a fan of what he now calls the "Fake Washington Post" — as well as its owner, who's now his enemy No. 1.

In a previously unaired chunk of a 2013 interview, Trump was asked about Jeff Bezos' purchase of The Washington Post, and it bore no resemblance to how he'd describe the Amazon founder today.

"I'm a fan of The Washington Post," Trump told ABC News' Jon Karl in 2013, also heaping praise on the Graham family, who used to own the paper. "And I have to tell you I think that Jeff, who really is an amazing guy, I think he's going to bring it to that next plateau."

Trump wasn't sure if Bezos was going to make money on the Post, but said that "ultimately, he probably will." If anything, Bezos would surely bring the paper "into the internet age," Trump told ABC News.

Today, Trump doesn't seem to hate the Post as much as the failing New York Times. But he still explicitly called the paper "fake" in a March tweet, and said it's become a "lobbyist" for Bezos. Trump's anti-Bezos opinions actually sprouted within two years of spewing niceties to ABC News, seeing as he accused Bezos of using the Post as a "tax shelter" to "screw" the public in December 2015 tweet.

Nearly three years after his first insult, Trump is still stuck on bashing Bezos. Meanwhile, his 2013 prediction — that Bezos would "ultimately" profit off the Post — is starting to come true. Kathryn Krawczyk

2:43 p.m. ET
PHILIPPE HUGUEN/AFP/Getty Images

The Food and Drug Administration will allow a pregnancy-prevention app to conduct marketing and advertising, USA Today reported Friday.

Natural Cycles, a Swedish app, is intended to be used as a form of contraception, using body temperature and menstrual cycles to predict fertility. The FDA was reviewing the app after it faced backlash in the U.K. and Sweden when women reported becoming pregnant while using the method.

"Consumers are increasingly using digital health technologies to inform their everyday health decisions, and this new app can provide an effective method of contraception if it's used carefully and correctly," said Terri Cornelison, an FDA official. The algorithm-based app has a "typical use" failure rate of 6.5 percent, the FDA said, meaning that 6.5 in 100 women who use the app with an average amount of misuse will become pregnant. Birth control pills, in comparison, have a 9 percent failure rate with typical use.

Natural Cycles is marketed as the "world's first contraceptive app," touting its "natural, hormone free, and non-invasive" method, reports The Guardian. Users pay for a subscription, and use a special thermometer to track fertility. The app has more than 700,000 users around the world.

The FDA is creating new criteria for Natural Cycles to clarify what rules the app needs to follow to avoid regulatory issues. The agency is predicting more apps following in the footsteps of Natural Cycles, writing that future apps intended to prevent pregnancy will need to stick to the brand-new rules. Summer Meza

2:04 p.m. ET

Sen. Ted Cruz's (R-Texas) supremely Texan insult is sure to destroy his Senate competitor Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) — if anyone can figure out what it means.

O'Rourke, the increasingly popular Democrat vying for Cruz's Senate seat, has a campaign logo that looks suspiciously like a package of spicy ketchup from Texas fast food chain Whataburger. When asked for a response to the similarities, Cruz's spokesperson gave the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this intriguing answer:

Unlike the spicy ketchup, when Texans unwrap the O'Rourke packaging, they are definitely not going to like what they see underneath. He's like a Triple Meat Whataburger liberal who is out of touch with Texas values. [Cruz spokeswoman Emily Miller, via the Star-Telegram]

And unlike your average play-on-words political insult, this winding metaphor gives Texans a lot to swallow. It begins as a saucy slam on O'Rourke, but unwisely savages the chain's massive signature item as "out of touch" and suggests Cruz dislikes the beloved business as a whole.

Then again, Texas Monthly suggests "Triple Meat Whataburger liberal" means O'Rourke is too elite, like Cruz's tweet blasting Stephen King as a "limousine liberal." That option, however geographically relevant, still disparages the Texas staple.

Or perhaps the super stack is just a substitute for "big," and O'Rourke is just a big 'ol liberal. But that would imply O'Rourke is just a normal guy, seeing as everything is bigger in Texas. Kathryn Krawczyk

12:37 p.m. ET

When the host is away, the attorneys will play.

President Trump's legal advisers Jay Sekulow and Rudy Giuliani are guest hosting Sean Hannity's syndicated radio show Friday, the media personality announced on Twitter.

The two lawyers will apparently be discussing the "unprecedented level of corruption" in the investigation into whether the Trump campaign was involved with Russian election interference. Hannity's radio show, which runs daily for three hours, will likely be no problem for Trump's attorneys — Sekulow hosts a radio show of his own for the American Center for Law and Justice, reports The Hill, and Giuliani has been on a seemingly nonstop media blitz for weeks.

Hannity, a close friend of Trump's, frequently invites the president's legal representatives to appear on his primetime Fox News show. In case there was any mystery as to what stance the lawyers would take in discussing corruption in the FBI, Giuliani went on Hannity just last night to repeatedly call the Russia probe "illegitimate." Now, listeners will be treated to a full three hours of Giuliani's often-baffling defense of Hannity's pal Trump. Summer Meza

See More Speed Reads