Intelligence chief reaffirms Russia is trying to meddle in the midterms, says he doesn't know what Trump and Putin discussed
Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats on Thursday said that the cyberattacks that are persistently working to "weaken and divide the United States" are targeting all Americans, "regardless of party."
Speaking at a White House press briefing, Coats emphasized the "pervasive messaging campaign" that could influence the 2018 midterm elections, but said the efforts were not as "robust" as the interference in the 2016 elections.
"We acknowledge the threat," said Coats. "It is real. It is continuing. And we're doing everything we can to have a legitimate election that the American people can have trust in." Coats drew ire from the Trump administration last month when he expressed surprise at President Trump's apparently cozy relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin. One officials said Coats had "gone rogue," additionally criticizing his choice to issue a statement that reaffirmed his confidence in Russia's "ongoing" attempt to "undermine our democracy." His comments came after Putin said he wanted Trump to win in 2016.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Coats seemed to be back in alignment with Trump's messaging Thursday, appearing at the briefing with other administration officials like Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen. However, when asked about the details of Trump's conversation with Putin at their summit in Helsinki more than two weeks ago, Coats said he wasn't "in a position to either understand fully or talk about" the summit.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
Political cartoons for November 30Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include the Saudi-China relationship, MAGA spelled wrong, and more
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
