Thought political campaign ads couldn't get any weirder? This spot by California Senate candidate and former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina has daringly lowered the bar, says Time.com. Accusing her rival in the Republican primary, Tom Campbell, of exacerbating the state's financial crisis, Fiorina depicts him as a furiously chewing sheep before denouncing him — in a twist ending that rivals "The Usual Suspects." While the conservative blog Race 4 2012 argues that the wacky spot is "meant to be tongue-in-cheek," MSNBC's Rachel Maddow takes it at face value (view her stunned analysis below). To get the full effect of what bloggers are calling the "worst" political ad ever, watch it to the very end:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week