Thought political campaign ads couldn't get any weirder? This spot by California Senate candidate and former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina has daringly lowered the bar, says Time.com. Accusing her rival in the Republican primary, Tom Campbell, of exacerbating the state's financial crisis, Fiorina depicts him as a furiously chewing sheep before denouncing him — in a twist ending that rivals "The Usual Suspects." While the conservative blog Race 4 2012 argues that the wacky spot is "meant to be tongue-in-cheek," MSNBC's Rachel Maddow takes it at face value (view her stunned analysis below). To get the full effect of what bloggers are calling the "worst" political ad ever, watch it to the very end:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Subscribe to the Week