Jamie Oliver a ‘hero’ after ‘tackling burglar to the ground’ outside London home

TV Chef reacted quickly to apprehend man who was attempting to break into his house

Jamie Oliver
(Image credit: Getty images)

Jamie Oliver has confirmed he chased a man down the street after he attempted to burgle the celebrity chef's house in north London.

The man “had earlier tried to break into other properties on the street in Highgate, North London – including one believed to belong to Kate Moss”, says the Daily Mirror.

But he was spotted “as he tried to smash his way into Jamie’s £8.9million, eight-bedroom mansion”, adds the paper.

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.


Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

The paper’s source said: “Jamie was alerted to something wrong when he heard a massive commotion coming from his neighbour’s house.

“He was set to investigate but before he knew it, he was face to face with the burglar himself as he tried to smash his way into his house as well.

“Jamie went absolutely mad and sprinted after the man down the street before catching up with him and pinning him down to the floor.

Oliver confirmed to the BBC the incident had taken place, and “looked shaken when recalling the event”, says the broadcaster.

Asked about the ordeal, Oliver was reluctant to comment in detail but told the BBC: “It's not a situation you want to get involved with, it was what it was and it ended OK.”

"[I was lucky] to be there to stop something from getting much much worse," he confessed. "I didn't really have a choice, so it wasn't really about bravery - it was a very odd and unfortunate grabbing scenario."

One neighbour told the Mirror: “It was just a brave, selfless thing to do. Despite the clearly very hairy situation, Jamie was laughing and joking with the coppers saying they'd done a great job to arrive so quickly after the 999 call. Everyone is really thankful for his quick thinking and courage.”

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “Police were called to reports of an aggressive male attempting to gain entry to residential addresses in N6.”

“The male was apprehended by members of the public and was subsequently detained by police. He was taken to a north London police station and was subsequently released with no further action.”

It's not known why the man was released, but the Daily Mail reported a police spokesman as saying it could be down to a “lack of evidence” or the “suspect having mental health problems”.

Continue reading for free

We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.

Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.