There is what The Sun describes as a “shock new name” on Chelsea’s shopping list – none other than West Ham striker Andy Carroll.
The paper says that Blues boss Antonio Conte wants the Hammers hit-man as a back-up for Alvaro Morata.
Who knows, given his grim performance against the Gunners on Wednesday night, when the Spanish sharpshooter was anything but, Morata’s place in the Chelsea line-up could be under threat if Carroll arrives this month.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
The 28-year-old, who recently said he wasn’t getting more opportunities with West Ham, has a season left on his contract but the Sun claims that Conte is increasingly concerned by his fragile frontline. Michy Batshuayi has been a disappointment for the Italian gaffer and it’s believed the Belgian striker will be loaned out this month.
Carroll, who scored twice against West Bromwich Albion at the start of the week, featured as a late substitute for the Hammers in last night’s 1-1 draw against Tottenham. Conte reckons that the Geordie’s robust approach could add a new dimension to the Chelsea attack in the second half of the season.
But it’s all news to Hammers manager David Moyes. When asked about the possibility of Carroll leaving the club, he replied: “I have no idea about that. I couldn’t tell you one way or another.”
Meanwhile the Daily Star says that Thibaut Courtois “wants a move to Real Madrid” despite recent rumours to the contrary.
The Belgian keeper was in red-hot form in Wednesday’s 2-2 draw with Arsenal and Real’s interest in Courtois remains strong.
It was suggested at the end of last year that the gloveman was ready to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge but the Star says the Spanish press allege that Courtois is “trying to put pressure on officials at the Bernabeu” so that he makes the move in the summer.
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.