A free daily digest of the biggest news stories of the day - and the best features from our website
Thank you for signing up to TheWeek. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
The Premier League’s transfer window may have closed but the rest of Europe remains open for business - and according to British media, Real Madrid are planning a shopping trip to London this week.
The Daily Express claims that Chelsea are bracing themselves for a fresh bid for Eden Hazard, with the Spanish giants “refusing to admit defeat in their £200m hunt” for the Belgian playmaker.
Real ready to bid £200m
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
That’s a hefty sum, but the European champions are reported to be so desperate to placate their fans following the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus last month that they are ready to up their initial bid of £150m.
Chelsea are trying to tie Hazard down to a new £300,000-a-week deal but he is believed to be tempted by the lure of Real.
Belgian international teammate Thibaut Courtois made the journey last week from Stamford Bridge to the Bernabeu, and has hinted that Hazard will soon join him in the Spanish capital.
“He is a great player and I would like to be always at his side, let’s see what happens in the future,” said the goalkeeper. “If he can come [to Madrid], it would be fantastic.”
Sarri confident Hazard will stay
Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri remains confident that Hazard will choose to pen a new deal at the Bridge. Speaking to reporters following his side’s 3-0 defeat of Huddersfield on Saturday, Sarri said: “It is not a problem, I have spoken with his three or four times. He never said anything about the market. He is happy to stay here.”
But the Express claims that “Real’s top brass will meet this week with a view to making one last big-money bid to lure Hazard to Spain before the 31 August deadline”.
Real eyeing Eriksen
Hazard isn’t the only name on the Real wishlist, according to The Sun, which claims that they are also chasing Tottenham’s Christian Eriksen.
The Danish ace is seen as the ideal man to replace Luka Modric should the Croatian midfielder move to Inter Milan in the next fortnight.
It’s been well publicised that Eriksen is discussing the possibility of a new deal with Spurs but also that he’s interested by the idea of playing for Real.
The Sun says that the longer he stalls on signing a new deal with Spurs, the more likely it is he will head to Madrid between now and the end of the month.
Werner a target
The Daily Star, citing Spanish outlet Don Balon, reports that Real are eyeing a move for RB Leipzig and Germany striker Timo Werner.
The 22-year-old has scored 21 times in his last two season in the Bundesliga and is being lined-up by Real to “bring goals to the Bernabeu”, says the newspaper. Werner is also a target for German champions Bayern Munich.
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.