A federal judge just struck down Trump's efforts to block a lawsuit that could make his finances public

The Trump Organization and its big-money foreign customers are going under the microscope.

A federal judge on Wednesday said that a lawsuit against President Trump can proceed, looking into whether Trump has violated the emoluments clause of the Constitution, The Washington Post reports. Trump's legal team fought to have the suit dismissed, but the attorneys general of Maryland and the District of Columbia will be allowed to sue the president over his business dealings.

The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

Foreign governments have been among the customer base contributing to the Trump Organization's soaring profits, and the plaintiffs in the lawsuit say that means Trump is breaking the law and opening himself up to conflicts of interest. Trump's team says that's not true, as officials are paying for a service or product, not just giving Trump a gift, reports the Post.

The plaintiffs want to take a look at Trump Organization records and open Trump up to discovery in the lawsuit, which would mean his financial books would be made public. Trump's attorneys could still appeal the decision to try and block the lawsuit from moving forward. Read more at The Washington Post.

Explore More
Summer Meza, The Week US

Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.