The Golden Globes might look quite different this year, but there's one thing that hasn't changed: the nominations are full of massive shockers and jaw-dropping snubs.
After the nominations for the 2021 Golden Globes were unveiled on Wednesday morning, here are the most head-turning surprises:
1. Da 5 Bloods gets shut out — Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods seemed poised for multiple nominations, but shockingly, it earned zero — especially awkward, The New York Times' Kyle Buchanan points out, considering Lee's kids are serving as Golden Globe ambassadors.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
2. I May Destroy You gets shut out — Similarly, Michaela Coel's I May Destroy You, hailed by many as 2020's best show, got no nominations at all.
4. Tom Hanks gets snubbed — At least Hanks only had to suffer a single snub, but he was left out for News of the World.
5. Zendaya gets snubbed - After her surprise Emmy win, this time Zendaya found herself with a surprise snub for Malcolm & Marie.
6. Emily in Paris and Ratched make it, but Bridgerton doesn't - Emily in Paris and Ratched, both shows critics were mixed on, managed to score surprise series nominations, while the recent hit Bridgerton was shut out.
7. Jared Leto gets a nod - Leto picked up an out-of-left-field acting nomination for The Little Things, a performance for which little to no awards buzz seemed to exist.
8. Music gets two nominations - Sia's controversial film Music unexpectedly not only earned Kate Hudson an acting nomination, but it also managed to score a nod for best musical or comedy film, despite currently holding a 29 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. But it wouldn't be the Golden Globes without some wacky picks, right?
The 2021 Golden Globes are set for Feb. 28.
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.