The Golden Globes might look quite different this year, but there's one thing that hasn't changed: the nominations are full of massive shockers and jaw-dropping snubs.
After the nominations for the 2021 Golden Globes were unveiled on Wednesday morning, here are the most head-turning surprises:
1. Da 5 Bloods gets shut out — Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods seemed poised for multiple nominations, but shockingly, it earned zero — especially awkward, The New York Times' Kyle Buchanan points out, considering Lee's kids are serving as Golden Globe ambassadors.
2. I May Destroy You gets shut out — Similarly, Michaela Coel's I May Destroy You, hailed by many as 2020's best show, got no nominations at all.
4. Tom Hanks gets snubbed — At least Hanks only had to suffer a single snub, but he was left out for News of the World.
5. Zendaya gets snubbed - After her surprise Emmy win, this time Zendaya found herself with a surprise snub for Malcolm & Marie.
6. Emily in Paris and Ratched make it, but Bridgerton doesn't - Emily in Paris and Ratched, both shows critics were mixed on, managed to score surprise series nominations, while the recent hit Bridgerton was shut out.
7. Jared Leto gets a nod - Leto picked up an out-of-left-field acting nomination for The Little Things, a performance for which little to no awards buzz seemed to exist.
8. Music gets two nominations - Sia's controversial film Music unexpectedly not only earned Kate Hudson an acting nomination, but it also managed to score a nod for best musical or comedy film, despite currently holding a 29 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. But it wouldn't be the Golden Globes without some wacky picks, right?
The 2021 Golden Globes are set for Feb. 28.