Could coronavirus lead to world peace?
International leaders throw their weight behind plans for a global ceasefire – but will it hold?

International leaders look set to agree a landmark global ceasefire that could bring a temporary halt to many of the world’s conflicts, in a rare moment of solidarity to help combat the coronavirus pandemic.
First mooted by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres last month when he argued that war-ravaged countries were particularly vulnerable to coronavirus pandemics because they have acutely poor healthcare provisions, the idea has quickly gathered pace, driven in large part by French President Emmanuel Macron.
On Wednesday, Macron told RFI he had secured the support of four of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council needed for a ceasefire to be operable, with Russian President Vladimir Putin “certain to agree too”.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Kremlin spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, said “work is underway”, and if agreed the move would represent “a major act of international co-operation at a time when multilateral co-operation in other areas is weakening”, reports Business Insider.
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––For a round-up of the most important stories from around the world - and a concise, refreshing and balanced take on the week’s news agenda - try The Week magazine. Start your trial subscription today –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
However, “it remains to be seen whether the peace initiative will be anything more than a hopeful declaration in forcing a halt to wars worldwide,” says The Times.
The newspaper notes that a unilateral two-week ceasefire called by the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen came into effect on 9 April has already broken down, while Kremlin-backed Libyan military leader Khalifa Haftar and Syria’s Bashar al-Assad are unlikely to give their opponents any breathing room.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
“Clearly, such an action would not eradicate some of the greatest challenges to world peace” says CNN, but it nevertheless demonstrates “a rare sign of global unity in the current climate” says US news site Axios, especially after Trump announced his plan to halt US funding to the World Health Organization and again questioned China’s transparency over the coronavirus outbreak, casting doubt on its reporting of cases and the origins of the virus.
It would also mark a moment of personal triumph for Macron. CNN says France's 42-year-old president “is now positioning himself to take over the mantle of global leadership long reserved to the older leaders of China, Russia or especially the United States”.
“And right now, he has no real challengers”.
-
August 26 editorial cartoons
Cartoons Tuesday’s political cartoons include a simple guide to gerrymandering, a MAGA-approved Cracker Barrel logo, and an FBI raid at John Bolton's house
-
Four royal holiday hotspots
The Week Recommends Follow in the footsteps of royalty and experience the charm of some of their most popular getaways
-
The rise of the lost luggage auction
In the Spotlight Lost luggage hauls are attracting millions of views online
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American cities
Under the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted
-
How China uses 'dark fleets' to circumvent trade sanctions
The Explainer The fleets are used to smuggle goods like oil and fish
-
The countries that have recognized Palestinian statehood
The Explainer The United Kingdom has become the latest country to weigh in on the issue
-
Israel's plan for confining all Palestinians in 'humanitarian city'
The Explainer Defence minister wants to establish zone in Gaza for displaced people – which they would not be allowed to leave – prompting accusations of war crimes
-
IAEA: Iran could enrich uranium 'within months'
Speed Read The chief United Nations nuclear inspector, Rafael Grossi, says Iran could be enriching uranium again soon
-
One year after mass protests, why are Kenyans taking to the streets again?
today's big question More than 60 protesters died during demonstrations in 2024
-
Trump gives himself 2 weeks for Iran decision
Speed Read Trump said he believes negotiations will occur in the near future
-
US says Trump vetoed Israeli strike on Khamenei
Speed Read This comes as Israel and Iran pushed their conflict into its fourth day